Working Moms

mickstinator
High Stress Jobs
April 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM

What is a high stress job you could absolutely never do? 

For example:

firefighter
doctor
911 dispatcher/first responder

Replies

• LNLMommy
    April 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Police Officer-Dispatcher-I couldn't be a teacher either-I have 0 patience

• Marti123
    April 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I wouldn't want to be out there fishing for crabs in the cold like that TV show. That looks physically stressful. I don't want to die doing my job. And then thinking you could come home with no money if you weren't lucky to catch something, what's up with that?

• HotMama330
    April 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I've done customer service in the past and will never do it again.  I'm not cut out for being yelled at all day long and not fighting back.

• mickstinator
    April 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Quoting HotMama330:

I've done customer service in the past and will never do it again.  I'm not cut out for being yelled at all day long and not fighting back.

that's one thing i do pretty well. i find it pretty easy to play a role and not take it personally. 

i do not, however, act very efficiently in high-stress, life-or-death type situations, so pretty much anything related to the medical field would be too much for me. it's not so much the blood and gore as it is the consequences of decisions made ont eh fly that bother me.

• christyg
    April 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Anything out in the extreme weather!

• HotMama330
    April 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I didn't take it personally, per se, although I did have physical effects from the stress.  I wasn't trained properly.  In fact, I got about two hours of training and my boss at the time said that she really thought I was procrastinating about getting to work because there wasn't anything else she could teach me.  We had no script and no guidelines as to how to handle someone when they were upset.  The boss spend the majority of the time socializing with other managers.  I lasted here about eight months.

A few years later, I worked in inside sales.  I was trained a lot better in a better work setting, but still hated the job.  Being stuck on the phone all day long is a form of torture to me.

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting HotMama330:

that's one thing i do pretty well. i find it pretty easy to play a role and not take it personally. 

i do not, however, act very efficiently in high-stress, life-or-death type situations, so pretty much anything related to the medical field would be too much for me. it's not so much the blood and gore as it is the consequences of decisions made ont eh fly that bother me.

• leahbeah143
    April 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I could never do anything involving bleeding or pain in person or animal.

• mickstinator
    April 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM

haha, yeah, having training helps SO MUCH. I have worked CS jobs where I was poorly trained and it was just awful. It also took me a long time to warm up to certain aspects of the job. I've definitely cried after how horribly some people talked to me.

Quoting HotMama330:

I didn't take it personally, per se, although I did have physical effects from the stress.  I wasn't trained properly.  In fact, I got about two hours of training and my boss at the time said that she really thought I was procrastinating about getting to work because there wasn't anything else she could teach me.  We had no script and no guidelines as to how to handle someone when they were upset.  The boss spend the majority of the time socializing with other managers.  I lasted here about eight months.

A few years later, I worked in inside sales.  I was trained a lot better in a better work setting, but still hated the job.  Being stuck on the phone all day long is a form of torture to me.

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting HotMama330:

• mumsy2three
    April 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I couldn't do anything related to "blood or guts"~ doctor, nurse, first responder of any type.

• Nighttiger
    April 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM

High stress I would be fine with. Anything that keeps me in the cold for long periods of time I would not deal with well.

Working Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts