Working Moms

CWGCAG02
How many jobs do you have?
February 6, 2013 at 12:31 AM

In this economy the more traits you have the better, but how many is too much? How do you balance home and work with multiple jobs?

I was working way too much in order to support my family. I did house painting gigs, baked birthday and wedding cakes, did daycare, cleaned houses, managed home rentals for other home owners, cleaned my kids school, did drywall and other maintenance work, sold Norwex (which is an amazing product, but it just wasn't fun for me), and anything else that came up. I over scheduled myself and spread myself too thin. My husband was getting upset we had no routine anymore (clearly it was really because he had to do more around the house), my kids even started getting out of control.

I finally realized it wasn't worth it anymore. I cut out the daycare first. OK to be honest the lady was two months past due on paying me because I'm a push over. That one was easy. But I couldn't say no to any extra income. A friend knew I was stressed out and invited me to a Spa Night at her house. It was amazing! 6 stressed out women all sitting on couches getting real spa treatments. I was in Heaven. Yep, You guessed it I was suckered into signing up for that extra income too. And yes, my husband wanted to kill me. But you know what? It's been great! I have cut out all jobs except doing Cakes and this mobile spa business, and I'm making more money and spending more time at home. I get to have fun and look and feel great too.

So what is it that you do? How much is too much? How do you balance?

EDIT: I've recieved multiple messages asking what spa company I signed up to do. The company is called BeautiControl, it's been around for 31 years years and was just named one of America's top company's. I'll keep answering questions through messages, but if you want to check out the company here's my page, www.beautipage.com/carriegentry Thank you too for the supportive messages =)

Replies

• christaberk
    February 6, 2013 at 5:24 AM
    I have just the one teaching gig.
  • woliung8153
    February 6, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    I only have one job at a office for over the phone customer service. One is enough I work 44 hours a week
  • Ilaynasmommy
    February 6, 2013 at 6:36 AM
    One. 60 he's a wks. Enough for me.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    February 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I used to work 2 jobs.  Then i got this job.  I stilled worked 2 jobs for a while, mostly out of loyalty.  But then my main job needed me too much.  So now I work 1 job.  We get by, but barely.  There's no room for extras, really.  Well, there could be if I were a better budgeter and didn't compulsive buy sometimes.  This job is good because I work 2 days on, 2 off, and every other weekend so I see the family alot.  And I could work another job if needed because of that.

I balanced because my part-time job was only for at most 4 hours on my off days from my main job, so I still got to spend alot of time with the family.  And I would get a part-time job if I had to.  If DH doesn't get his SSA payments back, I might have to.  But we'll see.

• eatyourveges
    February 6, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Just one 50 hr a week office job, I like having my schedule set
  • trfgirl56701
    February 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I only work one 40 hr job.

• leahbeah143
    February 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I have one full time job. On the side I do some house sitting and I help a lady that doesn't drive.

• mickstinator
    February 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Last year I had three: one main job, and two "side" jobs. One was about 7 hours a week and the other was as much as I wanted. 

This year, I am down to two and am trying to leave the second job. I just don't think the effort is worth the extra little paycheck anymore.

• sarahfire
    February 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I have one job but at my job I have the duties of at least 2-3 people. I wear many "hats" at work, I am a secretary, office manager, file clerk, project manager, estimator, and sometimes janitor.

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    February 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM

For the past 3 years I've only had one job - which is so WEIRD but wonderful!

When I first started my career as a teacher I was also a newlywed.  DH and I were just starting out in a brand new city, brand new jobs and no where near family.  At that time I worked 2-3 jobs (teaching, private lessons at a music store, telemarketing).  That lasted about 5 years.

After that we moved a few times, and I was a teacher and private lesson teacher outside of school (not through the school).

Then I started realizing I wanted to work from home to be with my OWN kids more, and for 2-3 years I worked anywhere from 3-5 jobs (all but teaching were WAH jobs including being a virtual teacher for a virtual school) to build up my WAH resume and get my foot in the door.

Then I finally hit the jackpot with my current WAH job and quit 'regular' teaching, but continued being a virtual teacher for a couple of years ago when I let my teaching license expire and now I work only the one job.

Working Moms