Working Moms

MayMommy07
Working 2 jobs
January 25, 2013 at 6:20 PM
I work my one job mon-thu 9-3 and sun 6-2:30 so i am able to drop off and pick her up from the bus. I have been at job #1 for 5 1/2 years. I am only part time which they are not making anybody full time. I recently got a fri -sun job...I work PT as well. I am gone fri,sat and work a double Sunday. It's about 400-600 extra a month but I miss out on the whole weekend with DD and DH. I dread and cringe working at job #2 and I feel although the money is extra I am missing out....help. Any help or words? I am torn.

Replies

• christyg
    January 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I work 2 jobs also.

I run a daycare from my home Mon-Fri (60/hr week, but its at home so it seems equal to a 40/ hr week). I also work for a senior care company and I spend Friday and Sunday (12/hr) nights with her. I started working the second job when my daycare was not making enough money. I just called this week and told them that I can no longer do the Sunday nights. Its just too much. We need the money, but I am killing myself and something has to give. I will seriously need to be committed if I continue this schedule any longer. 

Its hard to figure out where you can make the cuts, but it feels REALLY good knowing that I am cutting back. Is theer any way at all that you can cut out one of the weekend days???

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    January 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I work 3 jobs so I understand feeling like you miss a lot. Do you need the money from the second job? Is getting something on weekday evenings a possiblility so you can be home on the weekends?

• Nighttiger
    January 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Do you have to work the second job? Is there anything you can cut (cable, cell phone bills, car insurance costs, food costs) to save that money elsewhere and spend more time at home? 

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    January 26, 2013 at 5:58 AM
    That was going to be my suggestion.

Quoting Nighttiger:

Do you have to work the second job? Is there anything you can cut (cable, cell phone bills, car insurance costs, food costs) to save that money elsewhere and spend more time at home? 

• christaberk
    January 26, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    yep

Quoting the3Rs:

That was going to be my suggestion.

Quoting Nighttiger:

• Marti123
    January 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    Ditto the gals above, 400-600/month would not be worth that sacrifice for me, unless shelter, utilities, food for my family were in jeopardy. If you could survive without it, I wouldn't do it. I would keep looking for better paying jobs during the week, or something work from home on the week-ends.
  • rissarin
    January 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    Well said.

Quoting Marti123:

Ditto the gals above, 400-600/month would not be worth that sacrifice for me, unless shelter, utilities, food for my family were in jeopardy. If you could survive without it, I wouldn't do it. I would keep looking for better paying jobs during the week, or something work from home on the week-ends.
  • deccaf
    by deccaf
    January 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    Exactly this

Quoting Marti123:

• MayMommy07
    January 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    Thank you ladies for all help-I appreciate it. I am on the fence...thanks!!!!!!!! :)
  • jerzeetomato
    January 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I think if you really hate it, and can do without the extra money, even temporarily, then you should quit and find something to replace it.  I have come to really appreciate quality of life in recent years, and now am at a point where I might have to sacrifice quality of life to keep a pay check coming in by changing jobs.  I don't want to take a job I truly hate but may have to in order to pay the bills.  So I know exactly where you are.  But if you can get by without it, the extra money is just not worth the distress job #2 causes you.

Working Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts