Working Moms

Luisa621
Do you use cloth diapers?
January 24, 2013 at 8:40 AM

As a working Mom, I woud like to know what you do.  We are expecting and I wish I would cloth diaper, but is this acceptable, have you been able to find child care that will be a part of cloth diapering? Any suggestions/ ideas would help!

Replies

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    January 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I didn't cloth diaper when my boys were babies, but my sister-in-law did.  She worked as a full time teacher, and had 3 kids - all boys - and the younger two were twins.  She breastfed and cloth diapered for all of them.  I have NO idea "how" she did it - but she's proof that it can be done.  :)

I believe she provided clean cloth diapers & the plasic 'covers' (don't know what they're called) to the daycare, and also provided bags to put the soiled diapers in at the daycare and then she brought them home and washed them.  I imagine you would have to talk to the daycare and see if they're really (and able - many these days may not even know how to cloth diaper!) to do it.

Congratulations on your baby!

• sarahfire
    January 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    I don't cloth diaper myself, I have many friends who do but I think most of them stay home.

I would suggest looking for a daycare provider or nanny who is willing to do all that, and be prepared to pay them extra for the extra work.

You would probably have the best luck asking an in home daycare or individual caregivers like a nanny.
  • deccaf
    by deccaf
    January 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I would have loved to cloth diaper, but DH was not on board.  Daycare would have been, but if DH isn't willing, then it takes a lot to do both.

• mickstinator
    January 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I really would have liked to. If I didn't work full time, I definitely would have. I have friends who cloth diaper and say it's not any harder than disposable, but laundry is not my strong suit. I don't know how easy it will be to find a daycare on board for it, but you could always use cloth at home and disposable elsewhere. 

• Luisa621
    January 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    Quoting mickstinator:

I really would have liked to. If I didn't work full time, I definitely would have. I have friends who cloth diaper and say it's not any harder than disposable, but laundry is not my strong suit. I don't know how easy it will be to find a daycare on board for it, but you could always use cloth at home and disposable elsewhere. 

I think this is what I'll have to do unless we hire a nanny willing to cloth diaper.
  • christyg
    January 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I run a home daycare THREE babies who all cloth diaper. I dont see it as being any different than disposables. The parents bring me the diapers and a "wet bag" to put the dirty ones into. They take the dirty ones home to wash them and bring me back clean ones.

Its SO much better for the little ones, and it will make potty training easier as they get older, so it make is easy to be accommodating for them,

The one downside that I have seen, is that these new ones hold in the smells really good, so I get a lot of "surprises" at diaper time. Once you open them, the smell can really blow you away (LOL). I have to keep on top of changing them often, so they dont sit in a BM without me knowing about it. 

• christyg
    January 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM

These are MY favorites. They are an all-in-one, SUPER easy to use!!!!

http://www.bumgenius.com/

• Luisa621
    January 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Thank you for sharing this, very helpful!

Quoting christyg:

These are MY favorites. They are an all-in-one, SUPER easy to use!!!!

http://www.bumgenius.com/

• M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    January 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Nope.  I didn't have time for this and I was perfectly happy doing disposable.  Guilt-free!

• preacherskid
    January 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I have an amazing daycare and they do the cloth with me (I am slowly subverting the workers lol) they just ask that I wash the diapers at night, which I would do anyway, I would never leave dirty diapers overnight at the daycare.  I have enough diapers to do two to three days worth of changes before doing laundry, and now that ydd is into potty training we only go through about five changes in a day- I have roughly thirty diapers :). I use picket diapers, just slide the absorbent insert in and snap the diaper on, then when it is washing time pull the insert out and wash.  I use the same detergent for all our clothes, Ecos concentrated from Walmart, and the diapers are just a few more loads a week.  All told our entire diaper stash cost about three hundred dollars.  I have not bought diapers since daycare made the switch around nine months old, and I will never have to but pull ups or disposable training pants.

Working Moms