Working Moms

deccaf
Going to try meal planning
by deccaf
January 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I keep hearing about it, and I have tried in the past.  But this time, I will put the calendar up on the fridge, DH will have an idea of what is for dinner each night, be able to suggest alternatives.  I can just do one big old shopping trip, and not have the same convo every night.

What do you want me to make?

I don't know.

How about _______

No, I don't like that

okay (3 to 4 more suggestions)

Same answer to each.

Give up, go to fast food, or make something only he likes and another meal for DD and I.

Any suggestions for a picky family? (I don't eat onions/peppers, he doesn't like chicken, fish, pork, lamb, soup, or cooked veggies)

Replies

• Marti123
    January 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    At a glance I didn't see any salad nights on you list, there are lots of combos there! cobb, asian, chicken & dried fruit. picky people can pick lit what they do not like.

Then we have soup or stew night weekly, chicken, cabbage, beef stew, chili, Thai chicken, etc. I would cut veggies big, so he can pick them out.

Good luck, I love meal planning. But my DH and kids will eat anything, much easier!
  • deccaf
    by deccaf
    January 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM

We don't allow DD to eat lettuce or the like (raw cabbage, etc) yet.  SHe can't quite get it chewed up right so she doesn't choke.  DH won't eat soup, or stew.  He will eat chili, but DD isn't a fan.  Though she loves beans.  I think it might be the spices, though I make it very mild.

Quoting Marti123:

At a glance I didn't see any salad nights on you list, there are lots of combos there! cobb, asian, chicken & dried fruit. picky people can pick lit what they do not like.

Then we have soup or stew night weekly, chicken, cabbage, beef stew, chili, Thai chicken, etc. I would cut veggies big, so he can pick them out.

Good luck, I love meal planning. But my DH and kids will eat anything, much easier!

• Marti123
    January 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I our house, we just left off the lettuce for the boys, as we put so many other things in the salad. avacodo, carrots, corn, beans, fruit, tons of fruit. Now both boys like lettuce, but I don't think they started until 3 or so.

Also with our soups, chilis, we just pick out the beans, and meat. I have even rinsed, them off, haha, when they were tinier to get rid of the spices.

Quoting deccaf:

We don't allow DD to eat lettuce or the like (raw cabbage, etc) yet.  SHe can't quite get it chewed up right so she doesn't choke.  DH won't eat soup, or stew.  He will eat chili, but DD isn't a fan.  Though she loves beans.  I think it might be the spices, though I make it very mild.

Quoting Marti123:

• flutter523
    January 24, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    I kinda meal plan but I don't assign days. That way if I'm not in the mood for a certain meal that I assigned I can mix it up. Plus SO has a list to choose from when I ask him what he wants to eat.
    And I use ground turkey instead of ground beef in everything. You can't tell the difference but it's a healthier option.
  • christyg
    January 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Looking at your list, I think its too big and will start you off frustrated.

I try to make a "weekly menu" instead of a monthly one. I find that there are just too many changes to be made and I can control it on a weekly basis much easier.

Instead of making a calendar with what we are eating each night, I make a list of 5-6 meals instead and dont give them a specific day. This gives ME better control of making changes and the kids dont have room to complain.

I try to ask each of the (4) kids to pick one dinner for the week, and then I fill in the rest to try to balance out the meats (not all chicken, for example). If I make my grocery list off this meal plan, then its easy to have what I need to make dinner each night.

I find that I save a lot of money this way. If I am having a particularly good week and I have time to shop the sales, then I can plan according to whats on sale ... but that doesnt always happen:)

• orangerze
    January 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    Bump to read later
  • llovly217
    January 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    I went to target and bought a dry erase menu board by organizher. I let everyone pick a meal yhey want me to cook and i usually add a leftover night smd a whatever night. I do a list for 2 weeks and shop only every 2 weeks...I also a rule of you have to ea at least 5 bitrs of what I make. It has helped my children love veggies and other foods.
  • lnrmom
    by lnrmom
    January 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM

We have a dry erase board in a not obvious location where we write the meal plan for the week on Sundays. We encorporate F4Y (fend for yourself) days which are really leftover days. And breakfast for dinner at least once a week.

Why is your husband so picky? Good night.

Uhm... let's see. How about pot roast (does he like roasted potatoes?), steaks, burgers, turkey, venison? Pick your main course then add the rest. We do a lot of casseroles. But most of what we do you don't like. So... *shrug* IDK. 

• lnrmom
    by lnrmom
    January 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I'm sorry, how old is your daughter? My girls were eating salads at like a year - they ate off my plate and wouldn't take no for an answer. They would be total vegetarrians if they didn't like burgers so much. 

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting Marti123:

• deccaf
    by deccaf
    January 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I have no clue why he has become so picky.  He used to eat a lot more.  I guess his tastes have changed as he ages.  He does not like pot roast, turkey or venison (I love elk, deer, pretty much any game, but I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, so hunting was a regular source of food.)  I don't know what his issue with pot roast is.

So far, we started last night, continued tonight (Salsa chicken is already in the crockpot), and I have told him where the menu is and that he can make suggestions.  If he chooses not to look or not to suggest, that's his problem.   

Quoting lnrmom:

We have a dry erase board in a not obvious location where we write the meal plan for the week on Sundays. We encorporate F4Y (fend for yourself) days which are really leftover days. And breakfast for dinner at least once a week.

Why is your husband so picky? Good night.

Uhm... let's see. How about pot roast (does he like roasted potatoes?), steaks, burgers, turkey, venison? Pick your main course then add the rest. We do a lot of casseroles. But most of what we do you don't like. So... *shrug* IDK. 

Working Moms