Working Moms

MixedCooke
9-to-5ers How do you get things done?
January 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I have worked nights throughout my time as a Mom and find things such as doctor's appointments, errands, grocery shopping, etc. so much easier to do in the morning since less people are out there and I dont have to take time off for appointments or if the kids are home sick.

Honest question: When do you do your grocery shopping? Laundry? Do you have to take time off from work for your appointments or when the kids are sick? What time do you get home from work? What time do the kids go to bed?

Please understand that I am not in any way trying to bash, just wondering how it would be if I switch back to a regular schedule.

Replies

• GypsyMom2012
    January 18, 2013 at 3:59 AM

I worked a 9-5 the first 5 years of my DD's life and let me tell you... It was a PITA!!!

I would do the laundry, grocery shopping, most appointments could be made for weekends and I would end up looking forward to work by Sunday night because my two days off were hell and wore me out!

I switched to a later shift just this last year and a half... OMG, I love it! I get up and get everything ready for school and work. I am able to do the grocery shopping at 8am without kids around and in a partially empty grocery store. My BF spends the nights helping with homework and reading stories. I can put a load of laundry in the washer as I am headed out to work (around 1pm) and a few hours later, the BF will come home and transfer to the dryer. I prep the dinner for the next night and I STILL have my weekends off to spend with my DD. Only now, I am not rushing to get everything done in 2 days. Only things I leave for weekend morning snow is cleaning my bathroom and vacuuming the floors. everything else is done on a daily basis almost. 

• Loveplusmama
    January 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I think you just get used to whatever schedule you have an make it fit- but I do love my random days off when I can grocery shop early on a weekday!

Grocery shopping generally gets done on the weekend while the kids are napping or my husband and I divide and conquer- one of us has the kids for something fun, the other is running errands. Sometimes we grocery shop after work, but that's harder to get organized for.

Laundry- I do a few loads during the week after work. Most done on the weekend. We usually have family movie night on night on a weekend, so much of it gets done then. 

Fortunately, my job is flexible, so I can flex my hours for appointments, but usually I take time off for sick kids. If I can get a little work done, that is a bonus, but I don't count on it. 

We get home from work about 5 or 5:30, kids start bedtime routines at 7:30 and are in bed by 8 or 8:15. Most weeks, my husband gets off early enough to start dinner, which is a huge help, but our evenings are very tight with dinner, baths and bed. I have no idea what happens when homework gets thrown in the mix, but we will figure it out!

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    January 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I am a 9-5er now - but I'm a WAHM so it's a little different.  I throw in laundry in the morning, switch it at lunch or after dinner.  I do that everyday (family of 5 with 3 boys).  I grocery shop on the weekends.  DH typically takes them to appointments after school (unless it's something serious) as he works 4:00am-1:00pm.  If I DO have to take them to the doctor or something, I can take time off without losing money or vacation days (unlimited sick days).

• MunchiesMom324
    January 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Getting home at 5:30 and having two hours to do dinner and stuff before bed... do your kids do extracurricular activities?  Sports/dance/music etc?

I'm trying to figure out how to do it... once my kiddos make up their minds what THEY want to do. 

Quoting Loveplusmama:

I think you just get used to whatever schedule you have an make it fit- but I do love my random days off when I can grocery shop early on a weekday!

Grocery shopping generally gets done on the weekend while the kids are napping or my husband and I divide and conquer- one of us has the kids for something fun, the other is running errands. Sometimes we grocery shop after work, but that's harder to get organized for.

Laundry- I do a few loads during the week after work. Most done on the weekend. We usually have family movie night on night on a weekend, so much of it gets done then. 

Fortunately, my job is flexible, so I can flex my hours for appointments, but usually I take time off for sick kids. If I can get a little work done, that is a bonus, but I don't count on it. 

We get home from work about 5 or 5:30, kids start bedtime routines at 7:30 and are in bed by 8 or 8:15. Most weeks, my husband gets off early enough to start dinner, which is a huge help, but our evenings are very tight with dinner, baths and bed. I have no idea what happens when homework gets thrown in the mix, but we will figure it out!

• cadeesmommy0120
    January 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I work 7:30-4 but I have a commute that takes as little as 30 minutes or as much as an hour on bad days.  We typically get home right around 5.  DD watches TV or plays while I cook dinner.  I have class on Tues. and Thurs. so dinner duty goes to my sister who watches my daughter.  On the nights I'm home, we cook, eat, bath if she needs it, and in her room by 8, usually before.  She goes to her dad's for a couple hours one night a week and every other weekend she's there so that's typically when I run my errands. 

• LyTe684
    by LyTe684
    January 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Quoting MixedCooke:

Honest question: When do you do your grocery shopping?  Sunday morning

Laundry?EO Sunday, DH does it late (anytime past 10pm, this way it's empty and he doesn't have to wait on washers and dryers)

Do you have to take time off from work for your appointments or when the kids are sick? Yes. Sometimes if it's not an emergency I can get an appointment after work. Most times, I have to at least leave early.

What time do you get home from work?Depends. On a good day? At the earliest 5:40-5:45pm. The latest is about 6:30-6:45pm. 

What time do the kids go to bed?Usually 8pm for my son (school), my daughter.. depends. 8-9pm.

Please understand that I am not in any way trying to bash, just wondering how it would be if I switch back to a regular schedule.

• raegan1221
    January 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I work 830-530, and we live 30 mins outside of town. For household chores, groceries, etc. That's in the evenings or on weekends usually (i.e. I have no life). For appointments, I have to take off work or if my son is sick I take off work. It's just the two of us so sometimes it's difficult especially when I only have 5 hours of sick/vacation time left, adn I am going to have to be off for three days soon due to my sons surgery. Ugh. Anywho, it's at least 6 by the time we get home.

• raegan1221
    January 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Oh and ds goes to bed at 830.

• yezay
    by yezay
    January 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    I grocery shop on Saturdays or my short day. I work a longer day Sunday to have a shorter day Monday. I work Sunday through Thursday so I also have Fridays off.
  • MayMommy07
    January 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    I work all hours sometimes starts 5:30am and sometimes ends 1am. Retail :(. Anyway I plan my chores or errands around my wk schedule with a 9-5 I would prob do laundry once/twice a week after I get home and dinner is cooking. Also weekends maybe leave the kids at home with (Dad or a relative) and hit the store 7am before the crowds and then you have the rest of the day Appts those are hard-I bring DD on her days off from school like a dentist appt and I just take off good luck!

Working Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN