Today's challenge dinner is Healthy BBQ Chicken.
- 1 Green Pepper, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 Red Pepper, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large Sweet Potato, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small Zucchini, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large Onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts, thighs or drumsticks
- 1 Tablespoon, Quick Cooking Tapioca or flour
- 1-15 oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoons Worchestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
You can prepare all of the ingredients the night before and put in the fridge overnight in a gallon size storage bag. You can also double this recipe and put one bag into the freezer for a later time.
The day you cook this, put all the ingredients into your slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. You can also add some water or chicken broth to get a little more sauce with it. Serve with rice or pasta. Brown rice or whole grain pasta are good, healthier choices to their 'white' counterparts.
How often do you serve rice or pasta as part of the main course or as a side dish? Will you try this recipe?
If you haven't signed up for the 'Working Moms Slow Cooker' Challenge yet, you can do so here.
by eevers55January 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I make bbq chicken in my slow cooker almost once a week. We usually serve items like this with brown rice.
by BarabellJanuary 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM
We have pasta or rice probably every two or three days in our house. It's a pretty common side or main dish.
That recipe sounds good!! Yum.
I definitely will try this, and will put the ingredients on my shopping list for tomorrow! I use rice and pasta alot, and try to use Brown rice and the "Smart" pastas as much as I can. The kids are not a fan of whole wheat pasta, but I can get the hybrids in them without too much trouble.
by TurboMom81January 17, 2013 at 10:49 AMPasta is a main dish daily in our home. It's cheap and easy.
by SilaLumennJanuary 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM
We are not big fans of bbq, so I'll pass on this one.