Working Moms

raegan1221
Anyone a Unit Secretary for a Hospital?
January 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I found an opening here at one of the hospitals and I actually meet the criteria. It looks like 12 hr shifts of 7a-7p with chance of rotation. I have always worked Mon-Fri 8-5...now I am working 830-530. Anyways has anyone ever worked hours like that? Do you like it? Also...if you don't mind me asking is the pay decent as a Unit Secretary? I looked up the salary for my area for one and it says $47000 which would be awesome but it almost seems high...I don't know though.

Replies

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    January 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM
    I make $11.61 an hour and work 2 floors in the hospitals psych building. I work 8 hours Saturday and Sunday. The nurses who work 12 hour shifts like it because they get more days off.
  • raegan1221
    January 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Hhmm....See I am working 8hr days Mon-Fri..so I am thinking I will like the 12 hr days and get more time with my family.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I make $11.61 an hour and work 2 floors in the hospitals psych building. I work 8 hours Saturday and Sunday. The nurses who work 12 hour shifts like it because they get more days off.

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    January 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    That's why a lot of the nurses like it.

Quoting raegan1221:

Hhmm....See I am working 8hr days Mon-Fri..so I am thinking I will like the 12 hr days and get more time with my family.

Quoting cjsmom1:

• raegan1221
    January 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM

This sounds like a silly question lol. Where I worked before we got to wear scrubs..just not where I'm at now. Do you get to wear scrubs as a Unit Secretary? I'd assume to distinguish from the nurses so that patients dont think you're a nurse.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Quoting raegan1221:

Quoting cjsmom1:

• Marti123
    January 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I used to be a nurse in several hospital and now I work in one as an NP.

Most wore/wear business casual clothes. Some wore scrubs.

The unit secretaries that I know, told me they made anywhere from 8-13 dollars an hour. Most of them had to take classes on medical terminology. But I really have discussed it recently with anyone.

I used to work 12 hour shifts, pre-kids for 5 years. It's got pro's and con's. 4 days off a week is really really nice, but for 3 days a week, you do nothing but work, it is exhausting, you'd miss ballgames, dinner, etc.... Your house, family and relationships can suffer a bit on those days, but then you can play catch up ont he other days, so it works out. I worked nights and that is just a killer in itself, so days would probably be much better.. Over-time extra shifts can be a perk too. As you still have 2-3 days off even if you work extra, and usually there is always extra work for good employees in healthcare. 

Good luck!! I hope you get the job and love it!

• christaberk
    January 9, 2013 at 5:17 AM
    I'm no help, but good luck!
  • cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    January 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    Everyone wears scrubs. The nurses id badges have red around them so you can see they're a nurse.

Quoting raegan1221:

This sounds like a silly question lol. Where I worked before we got to wear scrubs..just not where I'm at now. Do you get to wear scrubs as a Unit Secretary? I'd assume to distinguish from the nurses so that patients dont think you're a nurse.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Quoting raegan1221:

Quoting cjsmom1:

Working Moms