Working Moms

Marti123
totally wigging out....
December 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM

ok, I need a psychiatrist

I submitted a poster presentation to a national conference with the idea that it would NOT get accepted. But it did, and now I have to travel to Pittsburgh for a 3 day week-end. I have never left my children, since my YDS was 5 months old, and I became physically ill that time.

I do not want to go, I really do not want to go. It is an awful feeling. I am not even sure my DH can handle my YDS without me for that long.

Replies

• Nighttiger
    December 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM

hugs

I've been on several work trips in the last two years. The first ones the most difficult, but it gets easier. However, I only have 1 right now and DH takes care of him often, so I know they do good together. As far as your trip, make sure you hook up Skype or something similar so you can make video calls to your family while you are gone. We picked up a webcam really cheap to hook up to both the home computer and my work laptop. Its a great lifeline for all of you! As far as the kids, do you have anyone that could come help out? Can they plan a trip to the grandparents for a day of that weekend or something?

I'm sure you will all get through it just fine. And BTW

way to go

you rock

• deccaf
    by deccaf
    December 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Congrats, I guess.  But you do what you need to .  If that means staying home, great, if you choose to go, great.  You have to be comfortable in your choices.

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    December 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    First of all congrats. You should feel proud that it was accepted. Second of all, it will all be OK. I travel often for work & I never want to go. But, the kids are fine, DH is fine & they get a chance to bond in a way that's different than when mom is around as a buffer.
  • cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    December 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM

CONGRATS!!! This trip won't be easy for you but call as often as you can and remember that it's only for a few days.

• Loveplusmama
    December 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    Do you need to attend the conference all 3 days? Is a colleague going that could present for you (but you create the poster?) In my field, generally there are 1-2 sessions that presenters are available for questions during a conference, so maybe your conference has the same format, giving you flexibility in your travel. I recently stayed at one conference less than 24 hours!

Congrats on the acceptance!
  • adamsmom0116
    December 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    Good for you for having yours accepted! Is it something you absolutely have to go to? If not, you should consider staying home. Sounds like the stress may not be worth it.
  • Psyche_NYC
    December 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Congrats!  It's important to cater to ther aspects of yourself.  Try to look at it as some well-deserved me time.   And, with skype, Facetime, etc, you can still see your little one.  You might come back refreshed.

• leahbeah143
    December 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM

that's awesome ~ congrats! I get anxious about travelling too :-( What does DH say about it?

• Marti123
    December 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    DH, "well I am going with you." He is less than enthused about being separated and being alone with the children. My YDS is such a challenge.

Quoting leahbeah143:

that's awesome ~ congrats! I get anxious about travelling too :-( What does DH say about it?

• WonderWomanSV
    December 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM

My dh would do the same thing.

Quoting Marti123:

DH, "well I am going with you." He is less than enthused about being separated and being alone with the children. My YDS is such a challenge.

Quoting leahbeah143:

Working Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts