Working Moms

Steph925
Your daily routine
December 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM
I work full time and haven't figured out a good routine for me and my cleaning. I have a little one in place right now but doesn't keep my whole house clean like I want it to and I don't want to spend my one day off a week cleaning the whole house like I did today. Dh isn't much help when it come to cleaning either. I ask him to do one thing and it takes him days to actually do it. My kids help a little but they are 5 and 7. They clean their room help with putting laundry away and my oldest takes the bathroom trash out.

In the mornings I do at least 1 load of laundry and try to out the dishes away while the kids are getting ready for school. Then when I get home from work I do the dishes while I'm cooking dinner and I pick up the kitchen. And after dinner if I'm not to tired I try to pick up the living room.

Just wondering what's your daily routine? I wake up about half and hour to an hour before the kids and I go to bed any time an hour to 3 hours after the kids go to bed and still my house is a wreck!

Help me please!

Replies

• deccaf
    by deccaf
    December 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    Do what you can each day. It won't be perfect, but it is manageable.
  • calsmom62
    December 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    Visit flylady.com. she gas really good tips that are manageable and its a 15 minute kind of thing.
  • HaileyAnnsMommy
    December 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    I do deep cleaning sunday every other weekend. I do laundry every Sunday, dishes every other day (don't have a dish washer), and pack up before bed every night. But i have two days off a week.
  • MixedCooke
    December 13, 2012 at 3:28 AM

when I get home, I get the kids ready for school, I then load the dishwasher and gather any laundry, I have breakfast after they are all of to school, put something to thaw out for dinner and plan the meal, I then throw in the laundry after the diswahser is done running, I then go and run any errands I need to (usually grocery shopping) and am done and packing it up by 1145am, i then pick up my youngest from pre-school, I then throw the laundry in the dryer, she gets her snack, then play time, then nap time.  i wind down about 15 minutes and sleep when she does.  Once up, i go get my eldest from school, give them a snack and then go prep dinner, my eldest will then empty the laundry.  I will sort and fold it the next day.  The house, my Mother always told me to "never leave a room empty-handed" meaning to clean as you go.

I have designated days that I do things such as Monday, cleaning day, Tuesdays for Errands, the others for going to the gym.  I try and get all chores done so that the weekend is strictly for family time.  Hubby's main chores are putting away the dishes, putting out the trash/recycle, helping sort and fold the laundry (doesnt happen very often but he will do laundry on occasion), pick up the playroom, cooks on the weekends and he handles the bath and bedtimes since I work nights.

• christaberk
    December 13, 2012 at 5:17 AM
    My cleaning gets done on the weekends..
  • trfgirl56701
    December 13, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I try to pick up a little everyday. I'll do the dishes after I get home from work or after dinner. Our errands are typical done either Friday night or on the weekends. Dh is no help. I actually told him last night that he is capable of throwing clothes in the washer and dryer if needed. His excuse for not helping it because he wants to make sure I'll make a good sahm. Hmmm let's see I'll have 8 more hours in the day to do all the stuff I have to cram in 6 hours after I get home while trying to distract a 2 yo that wants to help with everything. I love him helping me but it does slow the process down some.

• Marti123
    December 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Personally, I do not necessarily think it is your schedule. There are only 24 hours a day and it sounds like you are maxmizing them as best you can.

I finally realized, it is not my routine, it is my lack of hours, and lack of family help. FLYLADY as mentioned about is great program, but by the time you implement ALL the recommendations to keep a truly clean house, you truly run out of time. I learned from her site, but honestly it takes a lot of time and effort to keep a nice clean house, especially if you have a lot of things. So declutter, declutter, declutter. I also try to organize one area every week-end to easier clean itself, i.e. got the coat closet decluttered, with baskets on the floor to throw hats in.  And train the family, I am am slowly trying to teach my family to help more. It takes several months to form new habits, though, so be patient.

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    December 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Daily routine?  What's that?  laughing

But seriously, in most areas I don't have a set routine.  I empty the dishwasher each morning, and add to it throughout the day and run it over night.  Anything that doesn't fit, gets handwashed before bed, so the kitchen is always in good shape.

I try to do 1-2 loads of laundry per day (family of 5 - 3 growing boys).  My 13 year old son does his own laundry on the weekend.  All of my boys fold and put away their own clothes (ages 13, 9, 6).

I clean the bathrooms every Saturday.

Beyond that, I do things as I see that they need them - vacuum, dust, mop, etc. are under no firm routine.  Just when I can and when they need it.

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    December 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Oh yeah - and each night we have a "5 minute clean up" before bed, which is when I set the timer and all 3 boys run through the house and pick up & put away anything on the counters, tables and floor of the entire first floor (kitchen, living, dining, bathrooms) and put it in their appropriate places.  This helps decrease the clutter and it's no work for me.  :)

• pattya925
    December 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I'm a fellow FLY-er and love it!

Quoting calsmom62:

Visit flylady.com. she gas really good tips that are manageable and its a 15 minute kind of thing.

Working Moms