Working Moms

the3Rs
Woohoo! (PIOG)
by the3Rs
November 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Two of our computers - 1 desktop & 1 laptop - have been completely non-functional for a very, very long time. I had resigned myself to the fact that they would never work again, but thought I'd give it one last try.

I spent a few hours working on them last night & they are both not only working, but working WELL & really fast!!!

Yeah!!! Glad I decided to try again! :)

Replies

• flutter523
    November 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    That great! I wish I knew something about computers
  • WonderWomanSV
    November 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    Great job!
  • leahbeah143
    November 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM

that's awesome! what did you do to get them working again?

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    November 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

That's great!

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    November 19, 2012 at 7:59 AM

On the desktop - once I was able to start it - I looked at the resource monitor and task manager performance tab and saw that the physical memory was at 99% and there was near ZERO free space on a computer with 6 gigs of RAM.  That didn't seem right - and my CPU usage was low - so I did a start>run>msconfig and hid all Windows services then disabled everything else.

Basically that means that I disabled all startup programs except Windows services.  Apparently, over the years that we've had this computer every program we've ever installed (and apparently some that installed without our knowledge) was starting at startup and comsuming every bit of memory even though we weren't using those programs.

I had previously gone through and deleted all unnecessary programs, but what was left was still starting up in the background and I simply didn't need them.  As soon as I restarted my physical memory was super low, with tons of free space and it works perfectly.  :)

---------------

The laptop was trickier because it was stuck in a start-up loop.  I would see the 'Windows starting' screen - then it would go black - then it would start all over again - but it would never actually boot.  I was unable to start in safe mode either.  But, then I remembered that a couple of years ago we had taken it in to fix it because the hard drive had crashed, and the repairman had given me a boot CD.  I found it, put it in, said to boot from CD and then navigated through his millions of menus items until I saw an option for registry scan.  I knew the problem was a registry error so I did the scan - found 8 registry errors which were automatically fixed - rebotted and VOILA!  Works like a charm.  :)

Quoting leahbeah143:

that's awesome! what did you do to get them working again?

• trfgirl56701
    November 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM

That's awesome! Dh is the one that can figure out all that stuff in our house lol.

• deccaf
    by deccaf
    November 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Yay!  Good for you!

• mickstinator
    November 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

ahh, that's awesome! love it when you can fix something AND save the family some extra moolah.

• jurnee14
    November 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Awesome!

Working Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN