Working Moms

tapies2324
why do daycares charge for time they dont work for?
October 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM
I think it is nonsense to pay for childcare days when my kid isnt attending the childcare program. Am i the only parent that feels like holidays and sick days should be no cost?

Replies

• LyTe684
    by LyTe684
    October 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    Does your job give you paid sick/vacation/etc. Days?

• mickstinator
    October 13, 2012 at 1:40 PM

i have always thought that. 

and to the theory that everyone else gets PTO, so they should to, that is simply not true. not everyone gets paid time off. not everyone gets paid for holidays. 

• Marti123
    October 13, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    I think it is fair that the daycare business owner has consistent revenue even with holidays. The lease on the building, benefits to the employees, etc. does not get pro-rated for the holiday.

I know some in-home providers do only charge on a day by day basis, maybe that would work better for you?
  • tapies2324
    October 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    My thought too. And I dont pay for my lawn getting cut unless it gets cut. I dont pay for a meal i dont eat at a restaurant. Why do childcare centers get paid for days they dont do a service?

Quoting mickstinator:

i have always thought that. 

and to the theory that everyone else gets PTO, so they should to, that is simply not true. not everyone gets paid time off. not everyone gets paid for holidays. 

• happymommy1105
    October 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    you pay for the slot.

so you can choose not to pay for the spot on days you aren't there, and risk your child not having a spot when you bring them back.

I have owned a daycare and worked in one for years.
  • tapies2324
    October 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I still think it is bullshit. The owner should provide for holidays and such to their employees. Why do parents get the burden?

• Loveplusmama
    October 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    Our daycare is closed 6 days a year. We get a free week for vacation. However they will only call off for severe snow days (they usually dont clise when the district closes). I pay for our sick days, but I am ok with that.
  • tapies2324
    October 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I work for a LTC facility. We get paid for the days they are under our care. why should kidcare be any different?

• tapies2324
    October 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I guess I would only be questioning your 6 days of pto. 

Quoting Loveplusmama:

Our daycare is closed 6 days a year. We get a free week for vacation. However they will only call off for severe snow days (they usually dont clise when the district closes). I pay for our sick days, but I am ok with that.

Do you pay  your employees for those six days you are closed? I think that is a choice made by you, the employer. Do not charge me for days my kid isn't there. If I don't bring him, fine, if you are closed that day....efff you....why should I pay for a service you won't and didn't provide that day?

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    October 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    That's what I was thinking.

Quoting Marti123:

I think it is fair that the daycare business owner has consistent revenue even with holidays. The lease on the building, benefits to the employees, etc. does not get pro-rated for the holiday.

I know some in-home providers do only charge on a day by day basis, maybe that would work better for you?

Working Moms