Working Moms

Pinkymom143
Does Anyone know how to...
September 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Become a freelance writer?

I have been wanting to go into this field of work for a while but can't fine the right wya to get into it.  All of the sights on line are asking for $$, etc.

Any ideas?

Replies

• BrennaLyons
    September 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

What KIND of writing? Nonfiction? Fiction? Genre? I'd check Ralan.com and (darn...have to look up the other one...sigh...my brain isn't functioning this morning).

Any responsible publishing venture doesn't charge the author. Money flows TO the author, unless the author is CHOOSING to self/subsidy/vanity publish. By definition, charging you means they are subsidy or vanity and not traditional publishing.

• BrennaLyons
    September 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Duotrope! That's the other online source of writing calls I wanted to give you. I knew I had it bookmarked somewhere.

• Pinkymom143
    September 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Thank you so much!!

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    September 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM

bump

• annasmom1234
    October 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I have been a freelance writer since college (don't do it as main income or I'd starve).  I'm not going to lie-it's very hard, and it's a full-time job in itself.  I believe doing research on the publications you'd like to submit to is key.  Go buy the most recent copy of The Writer's Handbook.  It will provide a listing of all types of publications, contact information and writer's guidelines.  If the publication has a website, go look at some back issues and study them a little bit, or if the publication is available at the library, etc. go do some research that way.  Good luck to you!

• Pinkymom143
    October 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Thank you so much for your advice.  I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question.

Have a great day!!

Working Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN