Single Moms

Featured Posts
flymommy1
Invite kid from the shelter to live in my home
April 1 at 7:41 AM
Hello moms
I am a single mom to my 9yr old. My son is and has always constantly complained how lonely and quiet his life is.
It breaks my heart to see him obviously bored.. all his play stuffs don't seem to keep him happy bcoz he's constantly playing alone and not fun.

I have no one around me with kids his age which makes me constantly feel like a "failure" and not good enough mom.

I have run out of options and not sure what else to do

What do you think

Replies

• virginiamama71
    April 1 at 7:48 AM
    Does he have friends in school that he can invite over and go over to their house?

You can also become a foster parent, or adopt.
  • flymommy1
    April 1 at 8:34 AM
    Hes quite new to his school.. he's beginning to make friends but because he catches bus to school, I don't get to meet other moms to kinda bond and suggest play dates.

I thought being a foster require a level and lots of attorney before you are granted
  • virginiamama71
    April 1 at 8:45 AM
    Contact foster care at the department of social services in your area.

Quoting flymommy1: Hes quite new to his school.. he's beginning to make friends but because he catches bus to school, I don't get to meet other moms to kinda bond and suggest play dates.

I thought being a foster require a level and lots of attorney before you are granted
  • HaloSue
    by HaloSue
    April 1 at 8:50 AM
    No being a foster parent isn't hard. You must take classes takes 9 most. To a year. Have a background check Have the space for the children or child. It's not difficult and at no cost to you.
    No you don't need a lawyer.

Quoting flymommy1: Hes quite new to his school.. he's beginning to make friends but because he catches bus to school, I don't get to meet other moms to kinda bond and suggest play dates.

• grneyedormom
    April 1 at 12:05 PM
    Get your kids involved in different after school activities to meet new people!

Foster care takes just a few months to start and get certified. Contact your local child welfare office to inquire. Tends to consist of passing background checks, taking classes and ensuring your home is safe and up to safety standards. The kids who are placed in your home if you are able to provide care will have legal representation. You’d be providing a home for a child while the parents work to get their kid/s back. But do it for that not because you have a lonely child at home.

And consider the safety issues of just inviting a kid who lives at a shelter to reside in your home. Find other activities and ways to engage your kids into the social community of their peers.
  • AzariahsMother
    April 2 at 9:27 AM

I'm not sure if I would personally invite another child from a shelter to live in my home and I think wanting this child as a playmate is the wrong reason for the invite. 

Does your son have friends at school? If he doesn't why doesn't he go to their house or those friends come to his?

Maybe it would be better to get him involved in things if he isn't already. 

• cafemommb4
    April 4 at 9:33 AM
    You might consider a get together for him and invite kids from his class. Something simple, but fun!
  • cafemommb4
    April 4 at 11:59 AM
    We want our child to have many friends, of course. But if he can grasp that even if he does have a lot of friends, he may still become lonely; that it is the quality of
    friendships https://bit.ly/2Ej1dKW and not the quantity of them that eventually will mean the most to him.

• cellomom26
    April 4 at 12:04 PM
    You are delusional for thinking of inviting a strange kid to come live with you. Going from an only child to sharing everything with a strange kid will have a host of new problems.

Try signing up your child for activities.
  • M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    April 4 at 6:16 PM

Being a foster parent can be great.  At the same time, know that it can be a lot of work and it is supposed to be temporary so preparing yourself and your son for that.  I wouldn't do it just to avoid keeping your son from being bored.  You truly truly need to WANT to be a foster parent for the sake of children in foster care....not for your son. 

What about getting him involved in activities (sports, boy scouts, etc.) where he can find friends and invite him to your house and vice versa?

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts