Single Moms

Featured Posts
AhDrah
How do you do it?
by AhDrah
June 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

My ex has the kids for the entire summer.  This is the first real time they've been away from me.  I am absolutely heartbroken.  I don't know what to do with myself.  I feel like part of me is missing.  How do you guys do it?  How do you get through the times when the kids are with their dad?  .

Replies

• diaperstodating
    June 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    I don't have any experience. My boys are never with my soon to be ex husband.
    Bump
  • virginiamama71
    June 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    So far my son only has 2 weekend overnights with his father, never anything longer. If he did, I would not know what to do.
  • vbway
    by vbway
    June 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I am sorry, but I can't help either. My kids haven't seen their bio dad in 4 years. I can only imagine the heart ache you must be feeling. Can you call them or video chat twice a day? That would make me feel at least a little better. How old are they? If they have cell phones, they could text you a time or two throughout the day as well.  How far away are they? 

I am sorry you have to deal with this, hopefully your ex is understanding and willing to work with you. 

• sunshine389142
    June 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I cannot imagine my DD being gone for the entire summer.  I plan to fight this if it comes up at this point, but that is due to my specific situation.  I had a hard time when she first started going everyothe weekend when my ex and split, but that got easier as time went on.  Now this year he has hardly seen her and just moved to NC (9 to 10 hours away) in May.  We will see how things go, but I don't think it is in her best interest to go down to her dad's for an extended amount of time at this point.  And obviously, I would hate for her to be gone...I would be miserable, I am pretty sure about that.

• newlife2013
    June 9, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    Sorry my kids don't have visits w their dad, but hopefully you are able to keep in touch and know.they will muss you very much.
  • Andrewsmom70
    June 10, 2013 at 12:07 AM
    My son left today for his one full week in June with his dad. I hate when he's gone so long. He'll also have a full week in July. I'll be in a workshop that week so it won't be as difficult. I've saved some in depth projects to work on while he's gone this week.

I'm sorry you have the whole summer alone. That would absolutely drive me nuts.

Go to the library for books. Join a gym and get tons of workouts in. Take a class of some sort. Find some place to volunteer. Redo your bedroom and/or the kids' rooms. Do some decluttering in the house. Do some deep cleaning. Go on a vacation with some girlfriends. Try something new. Sleep late. Be lazy.
  • LifeCafe42
    June 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM
    Hugs stay busy I have no clue DS has never been away from me
  • maddiemommy2009
    June 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    My child don't even know her father so I will never have the experience
  • steviechick
    June 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Great ideas from Andrewsmom.  I would also add if you can go visit your family or invite them to come visit you.  Perhaps a sister or a brother and they can bring their kids to see their auntie.  

I don't think I could ever agree to having my ex keep my kids for the entire summer.  I would think two weeks max but that's it. 

Hugs, mama!

• newbie1198
    June 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM

My heart goes out to you, I can't imagine being away from my kids for that long.  My exh is allowed to have them for 2 weeks straight in the summer, but he hasnt exercised that right yet, the longest he has ever had them was like 3-4 days.  When they first started going for visitation every other weekend it was very difficult for me, but now it gives me a chance to get something extra done around the house that I wouldn't normally get done while they are home.  Or it gives me chance to catch up with friends like a real adult for a change.  Good Luck to you-try to make the most of your time it will help it to go by faster.

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN