Single Moms

Featured Posts
young mother needs to avoid being homeless
May 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Hello my name is Amanda I'm 22 and i have a five year old little girl and just a few days away from being homeless. I keep trying to contact programs to help but it seems like know one is willing to help.If i go to a shelter i loose my job and will have no way to provide the things my child needs. Please if there's any advice or programs y'all know that will actually help I'd be most gteatfull to here about them.


  • amonkeymom
    May 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM

    Welcome Amanda,

    You should try contacting the social services department where you live and see if you qualify for housing assistance.

  • dawncs
    by dawncs
    May 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM

    Have you thought of contacting your local YWCA or American Red Cross? They can put you in touch with people who can help you. I also recommend applying for Food Stamps and Medicaid through the state assistance program which can help with things. There is daycare assistance also. I recommend applying for reduced or free lunches when she enters kindergarten.

  • shelady99
    May 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    If you lose your job and apt. apply for food stamps, cash assistance, medicaid, and child care services...have proof that its an emergency by bringing the eviction letter.
  • virginiamama71
    May 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    This will be good to know so if someone is in your area they can direct you to other resources.
    Quoting smack05:

    Where r u at
  • smack05
    by smack05
    May 24, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    If she's close enough I can help her but it'sa little hard with no location

    Quoting virginiamama71:

    This will be good to know so if someone is in your area they can direct you to other resources.

    Quoting smack05:

    Where r u at

  • Caramel824
    May 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    In NYC there's no more section 8,there's welfare ,workfare,emergency housing assistance.
  • pce68
    by pce68
    May 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM

    I have been homeless before and I know of many resources. If you tell us where you live, I can find some in your area. Otherwise I would say call United Way (211) and ask for help, or you can pm me and I will be glad to see if I can help. Most towns the best places to try for help with rent or emergency housing, is Salvation Army, St Vincent de Paul, your local food pantry or cooperative ministry, and Traveler's Aid. Call some local churches also and see if they can help. Some will help you directly. Others may refer you to other agencies.

    If you have the money, see if there is an extended stay hotel in your town, and stay there for a week or so while you try to get some help. If you don't have the money for a hotel, then those agencies I listed above can pay for a few days or up to a week at a hotel. I stayed in a hotel for almost a year once. It can be cramped having you and your kids in one room, but it's not too bad and it's better than being on the streets. PM me. 

  • LifeCafe42
    May 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    Churches go to the shelter in the next county it is tough but possible
  • Saharasmom2008
    May 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    I live in Madison county VA .... sec 8 isent takeing apps and the programs I've Ben trying wnt call me back...

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts