Single Moms

Featured Posts
ljeanbeans
New here. live on an Island with my 14 mo old
February 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM

My name is Laura and I live on an Island with my 14 mo old son Trent. There's a small community of people here. I'm legally married but haven't live with my husband for a year and a half because he basically cracked when I was pregnant. I have only had a friend or family member watch baby for 3 hours max since he was born a handful of times. I remember a few people telling me that being an adult would get easier when I was in my 20s, but I still feel like my life is a perpetual catch 22. There are no certified child care providers on the island for child care assistance, and I can't qualify for "welfare" unless I've applied for at least 10 jobs in the previous month even though there are barely 10 jobs to apply for in a 50 mile radius on a given day. I know how to make money on the internet, but work before hit and miss sales, so I don't use a babysitter. There are babysitters here, but they're $10 an hour. We are doing the Head Start home-based program and I have a counselor coming to visit every other week. I only get $250 a month in child support. The people here are really nice and it's a "true community", but I don't get out very often. I'm missing a "dance" right now at the library we both could go to except Trent was fussing out when I was trying to get ready so I wasn't ready. There's other mom's of little ones here, but they are not all frayed and frazzled like me because they have partners. I shower every 2-3 days cuz Trent only sleeps 12 hrs a day.

Replies

• MandaMom23
    February 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Hello and welcome to the group!

• ljeanbeans
    February 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I live on Madeline Island in Lake Superior. I've heard about those islands of off NC and Georgia....wildlife refuges and what not. This is a beautiful place, but quite cold and snowy between November and March. 5 Months.

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts