Single Moms

Featured Posts
ljeanbeans
New here. live on an Island with my 14 mo old
February 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM

My name is Laura and I live on an Island with my 14 mo old son Trent. There's a small community of people here. I'm legally married but haven't live with my husband for a year and a half because he basically cracked when I was pregnant. I have only had a friend or family member watch baby for 3 hours max since he was born a handful of times. I remember a few people telling me that being an adult would get easier when I was in my 20s, but I still feel like my life is a perpetual catch 22. There are no certified child care providers on the island for child care assistance, and I can't qualify for "welfare" unless I've applied for at least 10 jobs in the previous month even though there are barely 10 jobs to apply for in a 50 mile radius on a given day. I know how to make money on the internet, but work before hit and miss sales, so I don't use a babysitter. There are babysitters here, but they're $10 an hour. We are doing the Head Start home-based program and I have a counselor coming to visit every other week. I only get $250 a month in child support. The people here are really nice and it's a "true community", but I don't get out very often. I'm missing a "dance" right now at the library we both could go to except Trent was fussing out when I was trying to get ready so I wasn't ready. There's other mom's of little ones here, but they are not all frayed and frazzled like me because they have partners. I shower every 2-3 days cuz Trent only sleeps 12 hrs a day.

Replies

• MandaMom23
    February 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Hello and welcome to the group!

• ljeanbeans
    February 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I live on Madeline Island in Lake Superior. I've heard about those islands of off NC and Georgia....wildlife refuges and what not. This is a beautiful place, but quite cold and snowy between November and March. 5 Months.

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN