Single Moms

Featured Posts
jenking04
HELP sick 3 year old what would you do??
February 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM
My 3 year old has had diarreah for almost a week and has been complaining of stomach pain. I took her to the ER on Tuesday cause she was in pain they did a chest x-ray and a UA and both came back clean. They said she has bronchitis because she does have a caugh. Last night she woke up twice screaming in pain. The second time I gave her tylanole and it seemed to help her sleep. Today she is still complaining of stomach pains and has had 4 BM's and has only been up for about a half hour. One minute she can seem fine running around playing laughing fighting with her brother. Then the next minute she is running to the bathroom to go potty and screaming in pain telling me how bad her tummy hurts. She does not have a fever or any other symptoms that I'm aware of but I don't know if I should take her back to the doctor or just let it ride its self out. I called her PCP yesterday and was told to give her the brat diet and it should go away. But I'm worried about the stomache pains. Any advice would be great thanks.

Replies

• breebree04
    February 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Does her stomach seem to hurt only right before/while she is pooping. She could just be experiencing the painful stomach cramps you get when you have diarrhea. If she is complaining of painful stomach pains any other time through the day I would take her to her pediatrician. I would probably take her to her pedi anyway since she has had diarrhea for so long, that doesnt seem right.  Make sure she is getting plenty of fluids in the meantime.

• cristalf060812
    February 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    I agree I would take her to the Dr. id keep track of when shecomplains.. Like what time it is what she is doing when the pain occurs what she has drank and ate that date.. I had to do this for my 4yr old when he was haven real bad headaches .. I how she gets better soon..keep us updated
  • labrax
    by labrax
    February 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Diarrhoea for a week doesn't sound good for a kid especially since she's got cramps. I think you should take her to a doctor and please give her lots of fluids to re- hydrate her

• brieri
    by brieri
    February 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Poor baby, sounds intolerable at times.  Did you try giving the brat diet?

• GoldenLinds
    February 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM
    I agree with pp. The duration of the symptoms is concerning. I'd ask for more from the pedi. I know there are a lot of things going around but if there is no fever and its lasting this long I think it needs a second look. I'm thinking maybe food poisoning? But why didnt anyone else get sick, kwim?
  • zuzusmomma
    February 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I agree with everyone else. There must be something going on that would cause diarrhea for a week. She may have IBS or Crones Disease. I am unsure of the age of onset for these disorders but its better to diagnose so treatment can begin. I do agree that if the pain is only during the bowel movement then it may be cramps. I know I have had some horrific, tear jerking diarrhea cramps in my time. Hope you get answers and she feels better.

• my4loves4
    February 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM

my son went through the same thing (also 3), and still is but getting better. He had the flu about a week before the pains started then it went away and everything seemed to be okay. but a week later he kept pooping his pants and screaming "it hurts take me to the doctor" While grabbing his stomach and hunching over in pain. turned out he had been severly constipated and it was putting him in alot of a pain. i didnt think of that because he had diahrea, but they said the diahrea was his body trying to get rid of it but he couldnt do it on his own so had to put him on a laxitive.... So ask the doc to do a xray to see if thats the problem

• LifeCafe42
    February 8, 2013 at 1:07 AM
    Is take her in to the doctor a week is a long time for diarrhea ask for labs
  • abusednotbroken
    February 8, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Give her bananas to stop the diarrhea. Rice also helps. I am not sure what it can be without fever. Sounds like she could have a virus that's affecting her digestive tract, or a bacterial one (but without fever, that's weird) or it could be a secondary bacterial sickness caused from the bronchitis. BTW!!! Is she swallowing her phlegm? That can do it too. Have her spit it out all the time. Don't give sugary stuff. Water, bananas, rice....

• mz23
    by mz23
    February 8, 2013 at 2:19 AM
    Idk but my heart goes out to you. I hate to see my dd sick it breaks my heart.,I dread the thought of her being ill. I hope your dd feels better real soon! Id def take her to the doc. If it doesn't go away, keep bugging the doctor. Sometimes they brush things off.

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts