Single Moms

Featured Posts
February 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I came home from work today to find my mom doing my taxes. She said that I claimed my son as she finished. Then when my dad came home, the story changed. Turns out they claimed my son. Naturally I got upset because we had discussed this a week ago. They said they would give me money when they claimed since theyd get more. I wasn't so sure and said so. Well, today shit hit the fan.

Since I got upset, my parents shut down my life. They aren't sure I should go to work anymore. Basically if I don't let them claim my life is over. If I do, then things are ok. But I just feel so uncomfortable about it. I just have no options. My dad said he would give me all the money they'd get for my son. Last week it was different. So I am so confused.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about this?


  • mytrueloveS
    February 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    If ur uncomfortable don't let them. That's your son and you have all right. Idk know what you mean by ur life is over? That's messed up of your parents.
  • raeann1984
    February 5, 2013 at 7:19 PM

    how old are you? i agree, its terrible when money causes fights amongst family members. My parents and i had this fight as well when i lived with them. i claimed my son and would not give them his social security number so they could do so. Think about the pros and cons of each decision though as it pertains to you though and see if that will shed some light on what the best decision for your situation is.. good luck.

  • Oliviasmom72
    February 5, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    Do you live rent fee or pay any bills there to help out? If my parents let me live with them for free or minimal I probably would let them claim as long as the dad wasn't awarded it. You could always move out and pay you own way.
  • yezay
    by yezay
    February 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    If you live in their home and they watch your son while you work then they should claim him.
  • LifeCafe42
    February 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    See who benefits more
  • conniejo75
    February 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM
    If they are supporting you and paying more than 50% of the bills for you and your son then they should claim
  • steviechick
    February 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM

    Your mom should have been truthful in what she and you agreed to as far as how they support you and your son.  Since they are claiming your son then they feel they have the right.  Not sure of the financial situation.  Do you pay rent, food, etc?  Or do you just live with your parents?  If they pay more towards the financial support for your child then they should be reimbursed. 

  • easinpc
    by easinpc
    February 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM

    I'm not sure what advice to offer on this but here's a bump for ya!  Hopefully the other moms can help!

  • ChristieV
    February 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

    How is your life over? Also, do you live with your parents? Do they take care of your child for free while you work? If you don't want them to claim your son, I suggest moving out. That would mean you'd have to pay for child care and rent, but you would get that deduction.

  • michiganmom5150
    February 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    That seems a little messed up. After I divorced, we live with my parents, in an attached apt, but rent free. I pay all of my bills and the kid's daycare. I get way more claiming them b/c my income is lower, I figure your would be. My dad just watches them wed night since I work late. Other than that, it's all me. I'd find out legal, what's right.

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts