Single Moms

gcstar42
Child support question
February 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM

My ex had a child with another girl and they have recently split up. He told me today that she is filing for child support. So my question is does anyone know how this will affect the child support that I receive from him? I only get $450 a month for 3 kids as it is, and half the time he does not even pay that. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Does anyone have any idea how much they will lower the amount that I get for my kids? Will I have to go back to the attorney generals office and do the whole process over again? Oh and when I first filed for child support his other kid was already born so they did take that into account when figuring the amount he owed me.

Replies

• gcstar42
    February 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

BUMP!

• gcstar42
    February 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

BUMP!

• mytrueloveS
    February 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    I don't think it effects your cs in any way.
  • gcstar42
    February 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Okay that is great to know. Thank you.

Quoting mytrueloveS:

I don't think it effects your cs in any way.

• Jennyanne322
    February 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    It shouldn't change anything about your child support. She will get a lower percentage for her child though.
  • gcstar42
    February 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Okay thank you

Quoting Jennyanne322:

It shouldn't change anything about your child support. She will get a lower percentage for her child though.

• DDDaysh
    by DDDaysh
    February 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM

What state are you in? 

In Texas a new child can impact the CS of current children if he files for a modification, but if he already claimed that child when CS was first set, it has already been taken into account.  The last time we set our order, my ex got credit for both his other kids even though he doesn't pay CS for either of them. 

• Stephd710
    February 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

They wont lower your amount.  However, if you go back to try and get more in the future, this may affect your chances. 

• gcstar42
    February 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Okay that is good to know also. That raises another question though. What happens if he asks to get the amount changed? He is not working at the same job as he was when I filed. Actually he is not working at all right now, but thinks he may be hired somewhere soon. However, I am not sure if he will be making as much as he did at his last job.

Quoting Stephd710:

They wont lower your amount.  However, if you go back to try and get more in the future, this may affect your chances. 

• Stephd710
    February 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Each state has a different percentage they go by.  For example, here in MO, his income would have to be at least 20% less than when the original order was placed, for him to ask for a reduction. If it is that much less, then yes, he can ask for one and they will review yours and his income and expenses again.  

Quoting gcstar42:

Okay that is good to know also. That raises another question though. What happens if he asks to get the amount changed? He is not working at the same job as he was when I filed. Actually he is not working at all right now, but thinks he may be hired somewhere soon. However, I am not sure if he will be making as much as he did at his last job.

Quoting Stephd710:

Single Moms