Single Moms

MyBabies86
Suggestions anyone....
February 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM
My 7yr old DS has really been into lying as of late...I have talked to him, I have taken his toys away, he is grounded, I have put hotsauce on his tongue, I have made him write lines, I have PT'd him, I have made him pay our naughty jar...idk what else to do...as it stands now he is grounded...no TV,in bed by 7, no toys,and his allowence for the week went in the naughty jar and extra housework....The only thing I have left is taking his Birthday away...which I REALLY DON'T want to do, but if push comes to shove I will...

So do any of yall have any other ideals that may help!?! Thanks for any advice!!!

Replies

• soaringflutes
    February 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM

It's common for little kids to tell stories.  He'll grow out of it.  I wouldn't do the hotsauce thing though.  To me that goes too far.

• Cenedra64
    February 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    He'll outgrow it. I told both my girls lying is like stealing. It steals trust. The boy who cried wolf. Theres reasons theres stories with morals kids can relate to. They dont know right from wrong yet.
  • s.osborne
    February 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM
    Slap the taste out of his mouth.
  • ChgIsGood2012
    February 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM

My son went through that and I put a belt to his butt. He can't stand whoopings/spankings. So, that got him to straighten on up. And my son back around age 7/8, got a whoopin, oh maybe once every 6 months or more, so it was a big deal when the belt came in....

• LifeCafe42
    February 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM
    I like the way you put that. Stay consistent with the punishment but also offer rewards for good

Quoting Cenedra64:

He'll outgrow it. I told both my girls lying is like stealing. It steals trust. The boy who cried wolf. Theres reasons theres stories with morals kids can relate to. They dont know right from wrong yet.
  • MyBabies86
    February 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM
    Out of Respect for my Auntie and Uncle who we stay with I don't make them grab the wall anymore...grabbing the wall for me is tagging them with the belt...but like I said out of respect for my Auntie and Uncle I dont do that...

Quoting ChgIsGood2012:

My son went through that and I put a belt to his butt. He can't stand whoopings/spankings. So, that got him to straighten on up. And my son back around age 7/8, got a whoopin, oh maybe once every 6 months or more, so it was a big deal when the belt came in....

• MyBabies86
    February 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM
    They get rewards for the good..I've never had this problem with them, and I've put into play the fact we just had a big move from IL to Cali back in July, and sometimes they get sad their father is not around...but its like none stop lying for the pass 3weeks...I've even called their father (shows yall where I'm at with this) and asked him to talk to DS this fucker tells me "you're the one who wanted to be a single mama you handle it" O__o. I've told him the story about the Boy who cried wolf...I hate having to be the "bad guy" but I can't do the lying...ugggg

Quoting LifeCafe42:

I like the way you put that. Stay consistent with the punishment but also offer rewards for good

Quoting Cenedra64:

• ChgIsGood2012
    February 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Quoting MyBabies86:

Out of Respect for my Auntie and Uncle who we stay with I don't make them grab the wall anymore...grabbing the wall for me is tagging them with the belt...but like I said out of respect for my Auntie and Uncle I dont do that...

Quoting ChgIsGood2012:

I understand. My only other suggestion would be to talk to your son (if you haven't already) and tell him the negative impact that lying can have on him,  you and others - 7 yr olds comprehend well enough so I think he'll get it. :-)

And while he may grow out of it, I wouldn't stand on that idea too hard because some people DON'T grow out of it. So you are doing the right thing by making an attempt to stop it before it gets out of hand...

• sunshine389142
    February 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Be consistent.  I wouldnt make the punishment more and more serious unless it goes on for longer.  i would try to understand why he is lying...what he is lying about...  my dd's older sister (when i was with my dd's dad, i had a large role in raising his other two children) had issues lying around that same age.  it took a while, but we eventually got through to her.  it was very frustrating because she was getting into my stuff and then lying about it....and then the stuff would turn up in her room.  it was not an overnight thing.  it took a few months at least to get things straightened out.  i just reccommend being consistent.  i wouldnt make a big deal out of it unless he just did it....so that way you can focus on the good stuff when he is being good.  and use examples from everyday life....so if there is a thing on the news about someone stealing....use that as a point to say, that is the same as lying....and people dont trust people who lie or steal.  etc.  i cant think of anything other examples right now, but if you look for them i think you will see them more and more.

good luck and i wouldnt take his bday celebration away.

• MyBabies86
    February 11, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    Thanks Ladies!!! I had my father (who spent time in prison) talk to him, that seem to work for now anyways

Single Moms