Single Moms

Featured Posts
xxbabigurlxx
Welfare payments...do they differ in the USA??
January 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Well Im living in Ireland and just wanna get peoples ideas on welfare payments. Do you thing they are fair, are they available for too long a time and been availbale for too long a time do more harm than good?

Im on one parent faily allowence of 337euro per week( dunno what that is in dollers but roughly the same I wud imagine) I get free medical too just like everyone who earns under a certain amount.

Im on one parent family allowence since Im in college and next year Ill be off it cause Ill have a full time job.

Here welfare payments are payed out to everyone who applys and the time limit is endless..basically you could be on it for life..I dunno if I really agree with someone been on welfare for life but here you can. 

What are your opinions on this and is your system simular in America? If not them what is your welfare system like and what kind of payments are available?

Replies

• ckmom2013
    January 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I live in NJ. I used to get 430 a month...I have two children. Which isnt enough to survive. But lucky for me, I was only on it for a summer because I had to stop working during my pregnancy because of complications. We are only allowed to be on it for 5 years I believe. People abuse welfare so much, so I think they should only be allowed to be on it for a short period of time. 

• LifeCafe42
    January 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    Bump
  • sid1083
    by sid1083
    January 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    States have various timelines for how long someone can receive cash welfare, but federal law limits are 5 years. There aren't generally time limits though on food aid, medical, housing or daycare (again, all specifics vary by state) but there are income limits.

Generally, I do think that there should be time limits, but what would be even more helpful is to change the culture sometimes to allow for more success once off the assistance. Most times it's not enough to just want off - there are other barriers preventing the successful transition.
  • raegan1221
    January 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I don't know. I tend to fall between the cracks and never qualify for anything yet I'm broke. Ah well frustrating. But here's a bump for you!

• elizabeth.mary
    January 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I live in California and get $600 in cashaid and $540 in foodstamps. Which REALLY helps me, because I'll be in school until March 2014. You can only be on CalWorks (welfare) for 48 months in a life time.

• tyfry7496
    January 26, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    Federal limits are 5 years total in a lifetime but there are exceptions and extensions available. This is for cash pmts.

It's not enough to survive on. The 1.5 months I was on it, I received $680 total. I found a part time job and was taken off cash aid. But my fs was raised. It was great when I went back to school at the state paid for most of school. Just too bad the degree is useless. Went to school for 3 years to find out I need a Bachelors to get a decent paying job. No one in my area will hire someone with an Assocuates in Human Services. So back to school I go with high student loan debt. It's a never ending circle of poverty.

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN