Single Moms

Featured Posts
Enrolling my daughter in school
by aLBa87
January 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I want to enroll my daughter in school early. I saw on the application that i needed to show proof of any parent that isnt in tge home but on the birth certificate. Unfortunately, he dad passed away when she was eight months and since we were never married, in the state of CA if you werent married or a close relative you cant obtain a death certificate. I do have a copy of one but not an original. Does any one know if i need an original copy? Or has anyone enrolled their child in school with out the consent of the other parent? Thanks in advance!


  • conniejo75
    January 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    Death cert is public records so I am sure a copy is all you would need for school.
    Edit to add: your daughter would be considered close relative even if you guys werent married. You should be able to get a copy on her behalf. You would need it for things like this or if ever needed to apply for assistance on her behalf.
  • mytrueloveS
    January 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

    I live in Texas and I enrolled my son in school without my ex knowing.  My son resides within that school district, so that's where he is suppose to attend.  

  • lydi
    by lydi
    January 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM

     i enrolled my dd without her father knowing. maybe you can contact the school and ask them what your options are?

  • conniejo75
    January 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    CA required me to write a letter to the school giving my ex permission to enroll tge kids (the moved back before me so they could start school right when the year started). CA just requires a divorce decree showing you have custody or in your situation you can show copy of the death cert. They don't need an origional.
  • Mommyto2LilMen
    January 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    I would just contact the school!!
  • aLBa87
    by aLBa87
    January 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    Thank you ladies!
  • victoriahearts
    January 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM

    I would talk to the Board of Ed , most application ask for so many things and proof of stuff that they don't even bothering looking at. So explain your situation to them and they may tell you nothing is necessary, my son goes to private school but I still had to enrolled him with the Board of Ed,  I filled out the paperwork and brought my proof of address and filled out that my ex lived in another place  and they never asked me for his proof or consent when I went from my appointment to enroll him.

  • LifeCafe42
    January 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    I'd contact the school and explain the situation
  • Robsessed98
    January 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    It would probably work. Just call the school and ask.

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts