Single Moms

Featured Posts
Iamlindsey
Bye bye binky.... UGH I WISH!!
January 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Hi I am a single mom of my one and only little daughter.

My daughter is 2, she is extremely attached to her pacifier aka BINKY and turns into the exorcist without it. However, I'm afraid of any permanent damage using her pacifier may be causing her. It makes me feel awful, like I am an enabler 😩😩😩😩

Any one have ideas or suggestions for tossing the "binky"? 

I have included a Poll for methods I've heard of already by random passer byers... If you suggest or don't suggest one or more of these please share. If they have been successful please also share. If your method did not work... You guessed it PLEASE ALSO SHARE! 

Please please help!

Methods to rid the "Binky"
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 27% - Throw a Big Girl Party saying bye bye to the binky
  2. 54% - There's the "cold turkey" option
  3. 0% - Put hot sauce on the binky (that scares me)
  4. 18% - Poke a hole to deflate it

Replies

• mom2four518
    January 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM

My oldest son had a binky for 18 months and only took it when I was around.  What I did was slowly throw them away and not replace them.  He had many hidden and so after about a month they were completely gone.  My other 3 didn't have them, but that was by thier choice. 

Good Luck and it will happen soon.

• MsLogansMommy
    January 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM

My dd had a love affair with her binky so I completely understand your pain. I told her the binky fairy wanted to come and take all her binkys to the babys that dont have binkys and just like the tooth fairy the binky fairy will leave her something but because she has so many binkys the binky fairy will leave her something really big. She reluctantly went along with it we gathered up all (she had a lot) of the binkys and left them in the living room when she went to bed and in the morning the binkys were gone and a really big doll house was in the spot where the binkys were she was so excited and she only asked for her binky once after that and i just said they are gone cause you are a big girl she looked sad but got over it pretty quick

• PoplarGrove
    January 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I vote let her get rid of it when she's ready.

My daughte'r's pediatric dentist told me he preferred children use pacifiers till they're ready to get rid of it than to run the risk of them switching to their thumb.  According to him, especially with the new orthodontic shape of pacifiers made now, no permanent damage is going to be done until adult teeth come in and once they get loose front teeth it will hurt too much to use the pacifier anyway.  

The one thing he told me to do was to give her a fresh, sterilized pacifier for bed time so no bacteria is introduced after she brushes her teeth.  My oldest used her pacifier until she was almost 5 and her teeth got loose and she voluntarily stopped using it.  No damage to her adult teeth whatsoever.  In fact, her baby teeth were nice and straight too.  My youngest gave hers up at 3 all on her own as well.  One day she just stopped using it.  

There was a study done once that showed children who were alloed to self wean from pacifiers or breast/bottle were less likely to participate in other oral activities as adults (smoking, over eating) becaue they had satisfied their need for oral stimulation as children and learned other ways of soothing themselves.  

• LauraMH
    by LauraMH
    January 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I also did the "Binky Fairy". We gathered up all the binkies, put them in a bag, and set it on the front porch. The Binky fairy was to pick them up and take them to the new babies who needed them. I don't remember what each of the kids got in return, but it worked and neither of them asked for a binkie after that.

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

My dd had a love affair with her binky so I completely understand your pain. I told her the binky fairy wanted to come and take all her binkys to the babys that dont have binkys and just like the tooth fairy the binky fairy will leave her something but because she has so many binkys the binky fairy will leave her something really big. She reluctantly went along with it we gathered up all (she had a lot) of the binkys and left them in the living room when she went to bed and in the morning the binkys were gone and a really big doll house was in the spot where the binkys were she was so excited and she only asked for her binky once after that and i just said they are gone cause you are a big girl she looked sad but got over it pretty quick

• naturALYme
    January 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM

My son is two (he'll be 3 in July). He loved his pacifier. First, I started to only give it to him when he was going to sleep or if he was really, really, really upset about something (ex: hurting himself). But my mom and my aunt weren't as strict so he was still getting to use it in other situations. I pretty sure his pacifier use affected his teeth. He has an underbite. Around mid-November, I just decided that we would go cold turkey because (1) I felt like he was too old for it anyway and (2) because I didn't want to further any damage that we may have caused. One night, I told him that there was no more "pacy". Then, I just put him to bed without it and kept putting him back in bed until he fell asleep. I think it took about an hour. And he never even asked for it again.

That's what worked for me. I'm sure there are other good ways. Good luck!

• mytrueloveS
    January 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM

My son never used a pacifier, lucky I guess.  My sister took it away from both girls at the age of one.  One of them had a hard time letting go, but my sister stuck to it and my niece got over it in two weeks. 

• ZakkarysMom
    January 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM
    Do not use hot sauce. Thats f*cked up. My son was 2 and still had his. I just threw them all away and dealt with the whining. 3 days later he stopped whining and asking about it. It messed up his teeth by the way.
  • easinpc
    by easinpc
    January 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I don't have any tips, my son decided he was done with it when he was about 3 months.  Here's a bump for ya, hopefully some of the other moms have ideas!!

• awesomeamylynn
    January 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM

When my oldest daughter was about six months old, I began playing a game with her just to get her to smile. I would "tease" her about taking her binkie. After that, every time I tried to give it to her, she would laugh and spit it out. There was no point in giving it to her any more.

My youngest daughter never liked having a binkie. Every time we tried giving her one, she would spit it out.

• SKJ3Kiddos
    January 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
    I am in the process of taking my daughters binky away as well. I only give it to her at bedtime. For nap time i decided to try rocking her to sleep without her binky. By rocking her i am giving her that comfort she wants instead of laying her down with her binky and using the binky for comfort. So far it is working. I also try and keep her active during the day to take her mind off of the binky. She does not look for it during the day anymore. I think she is just getting use to the routine of only getting it at bedtime.

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN