Single Moms

Cafe AmyS
Do you think you have to be thin to be sexy?
January 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I saw this in The Stir - Do you agree?

You May Not Have to Be Thin to Be Sexy Anymore -- Hallelujah!

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 10, 2013 

woman dietingTurns out, New Year's resolution season isn't what it used to be. Women are actually "dieting" less these days, according to a new survey of 3,800 adults, which found 11 percent fewer women were "on a diet" in 2012 vs. 1992. Even worse is the fact that in 1985, most women thought being thin was more attractive than being heavy, but fewer than 1 in 4 agree now. Oh boy. That's it. We are totally on a crash course for society as it exists in Wall-E, where humans are all obese and sit in floating chairs all day drinking huge sodas and staring at screens!

OR ... people are just starting to be more health conscious over body conscious? Maybe our perception of beauty is finally starting to shift from the ridiculous to the realistic?

Or what we could be dealing with here is simply a matter of semantics. In 1992, more people said they were on a "diet" or "dieting," because that wasn't a dirty word yet. It was a trendy one! These days, no one wants to be seen as a "dieter." It's much more acceptable to say you've adopted a "healthy lifestyle." So, it's possible that the people surveyed really were doing something to lose weight or watch their weight; they just don't call it a diet.

But the idea that we're starting to think "being thin" isn't as hot as we used to? Well, that's good news! It doesn't mean we're glorifying obesity. Or that our perception of attractiveness is all out of whack because we're all fatsos in 2013. It may simply mean that maybe we're starting to realize that skinny doesn't necessarily equal healthy. Curves -- as in the natural shape of a healthy female frame -- like Beyonce's and/or a ripped, fit body like Jillian Michaels', are hot. Skin and bones are not. And, yes, perhaps having a few extra pounds doesn't necessarily mean you're going to die sooner. In fact, someone who's a bit "heavier" may still be healthier than someone else who's skinny but guzzles diet soda, smokes cigarettes, or has no comprehension of eating in a nutritious way.

At the same time, I see no need for hand-wringing about how this must mean women are slowly but surely "letting themselves go." Obesity is an epidemic, but I'd still venture to guess we're a looooooong way off from it becoming the standard -- or even a socially acceptable form -- of beauty.

What do you think -- have we changed for better or worse when it comes to the perception of the ideal weight and dieting?

Replies

• alc4evermom
    January 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    I think it has more to do with how you carry yourself. I don't like to draw attention to anyone but my boyfriend. Men are very 'nice' to me but they flirt in respect and not the creepy way they did when I was younger and super skinny. I also hate the word 'thin'. It's outdated. Being "fit" is sexy, but even then to each his or her own.
  • alc4evermom
    January 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    Btw since when does eating a sandwich make you fat? Stupid photo lol
  • kidlover2
    January 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    I don't care for the skinny look... and that look has been out since the late 90's. The curvy kardashians are what's hot. Big boobs and a nice bum. I have the huge bum but nothing on top.... wish I could afford a boob job. :-/
  • SexyDiva19
    January 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    I was 130 lbs in high school. I got pregnant with my son at 15 and gained 30 lbs. Had my son and lost most of the weight. Here I am now 7 yrs later and I am almost 50 pounds overweight @ 172 pounds. I am trying to lose this weight and get back down to 130 lbs. To answer your question though for me yes I do need to be skinny/thin to feel good about myself and right now my self esteem is in the gutter. I cant go another year being this fat. With PCOS it makes it a little harder to lose weight but I know if I try hard I can do it.
  • Fullmoon_Goddes
    January 13, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    For me, leaner is sexier.
  • Childofares
    January 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I like the curvy womanly look of the 40's and 50's. Like this

I always thought looking like a 12 year old boy with no hips or bust was a little gross

• Mocking.Jay
    January 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I don't try to be sexy or dress sexy. I like looking ATTRACTIVE, but sexy, I don't want to sell that image to men. Sexy = easy target. And as a single parent, I just don't find it safe to look like a working girl lmao. 

So, I'm on the curvier side. I only wear cute clothes in the summer, but I still find clothes that cover my three b's. Boobs, butt, and belly.

Single Moms