Single Moms

Featured Posts
SexyDiva19
Does this sound like a good idea?? **PIOG**
January 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Do you think this gym is a good idea? Why or why not? I personally think its a good idea. It a self esteem killer to go to a gym *hence the reason I have never gone* to see girls sizes 2 and 3 on the treadmill like the actually NEED to exercise and men built like Usher. Although they could have once before been overweight like me and they are striving to stay small.

So what do you think ladies? If one were in your area would you go to it?

Overweight-only gym fosters supportive atmosphere

• Downsize Fitness.JPG

Personal trainer Krisaane Hale, bottom, measures Ellen Hays for body mass index reading before working out in a morning exercise class at the Downsize Fitness gym in Addison, Texas. (AP/LM Otero)

Downsize Fitness is an exclusive health club, evocative of the nation's trendiest gyms. But there's a strict requirement to join: You must be 50 pounds or more overweight.

The chain wants its members to feel comfortable while exercising, so there are no mirrors inside and the windows are fogged. Even the equipment is designed for heavier people.

Chicago entrepreneur Francis Wisnewski says he started the gym because "I've been overweight my whole life, and I was embarrassed to go to the gym myself."

The first locations opened in Chicago and Las Vegas in 2011, and expanded to Dallas in 2012.

Gym member Janie Busch said she likes the supportive atmosphere.

Krisanne Hale, a personal trainer in Dallas, is still trying to lose weight. She says that helps members relate.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/07/overweight-only-gym-fosters-supportive-atmosphere/#ixzz2HQUP9wzB

Replies

• mytrueloveS
    January 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I've never gone to the gym.  I usually run for 30 minutes at the park.  

• Ridingsolo
    January 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I'm not sure....I think it may encourage some people to stay obese.

My bigger question is what happens once you reach a healthier weight?  Are you not allowed to go to that gym anymore?  What if you've come to depend on the comfort of the environment? 

• SexyDiva19
    January 9, 2013 at 7:41 AM

How so? I was wondering that as well but I guess once you reach your goal weight you could be phased out so that you could go to a regular gym?

Quoting Ridingsolo:

My bigger question is what happens once you reach a healthier weight?  Are you not allowed to go to that gym anymore?  What if you've come to depend on the comfort of the environment? 

• Ridingsolo
    January 9, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I think the comfort of being around others who are all obese might make the people feel like it is okay...giving less incentive to lose weight.  That could go either way though. 

Quoting SexyDiva19:

How so? I was wondering that as well but I guess once you reach your goal weight you could be phased out so that you could go to a regular gym?

Quoting Ridingsolo:

• SexyDiva19
    January 9, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Hmmm maybe or maybe they would use the biggest person as an incentitive to lose weight so they don't end up as big?

Quoting Ridingsolo:

I think the comfort of being around others who are all obese might make the people feel like it is okay...giving less incentive to lose weight.  That could go either way though. 

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Quoting Ridingsolo:

• MissTuree
    January 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I think it is definitely an interesting idea. I go to my college's gym since it's free to students and it can be very discouraging when I'm trying to run or lift next to an 18 year old group of girls that look over at me with a snicker because they are running faster, lifting more, etc. I can imagine it can be extremely daunting for someone who is obese and new to working out. I do wonder though if they make them sign some type of contract that says once they reach a goal weight (possibly the weight that makes them no longer in the obese category) they have to leave and go to another gym. Hmmmm......

I must say though your comment, "to see girls sizes 2 and 3 on the treadmill like the actually NEED to exercise" bothers me. I have always been a thin woman, being fit has NOTHING to do with your weight. Yes, I excercise to keep a certain figure but most importantly I have worked out to maintain strength and endurance. Just being a size 2 is pointless if you can't pick up a box, or be able to run around and keep up with your kid. I have had people that were larger than me give me hell that I don't need to work out because I'm naturally skinny and that gets under my skin so badly.

• steviechick
    January 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I'm about to join a local gym.  I need to get tone.  I already run but that's not helping my big gutt nor my thick thighs.  Once I get tone I'm sticking to running.  I also need to cut down on the sweets I eat, too. 

I think most join a gym like I do - to stay fit and stay healthy.  A prerequisite to me in being fat to join makes sense.  Sometimes it's even hard for me to see some size 6 toned chick in front of me working out.  I know life's not fair, but I'd rather see the entire room full of people that look just like I do, LOL!

• PoplarGrove
    January 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Hmmmm.  I don't know.  18 months ago I was over 50 lbs overweight (and what weight do they take for normal weight?  My "normal range" is between 110 and 135 lbs.  So far I've lost 50 lbs and have another 20-25 lbs to get to the weight I want to be at.  Would they kick me out of the gym once I got to a certain weight? When I used to go to a gym it was also a socialization thing so you'd think the incentive to get below 50 lbs overweight might not be there, especially for those who have little social interaction because of their weight.  

• PoplarGrove
    January 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM

And some of those size 2 girls need to work out to stay that size.  I was once a size 2/4 but I had to work out everyday to keep that body.  

Quoting MissTuree:

I think it is definitely an interesting idea. I go to my college's gym since it's free to students and it can be very discouraging when I'm trying to run or lift next to an 18 year old group of girls that look over at me with a snicker because they are running faster, lifting more, etc. I can imagine it can be extremely daunting for someone who is obese and new to working out. I do wonder though if they make them sign some type of contract that says once they reach a goal weight (possibly the weight that makes them no longer in the obese category) they have to leave and go to another gym. Hmmmm......

I must say though your comment, "to see girls sizes 2 and 3 on the treadmill like the actually NEED to exercise" bothers me. I have always been a thin woman, being fit has NOTHING to do with your weight. Yes, I excercise to keep a certain figure but most importantly I have worked out to maintain strength and endurance. Just being a size 2 is pointless if you can't pick up a box, or be able to run around and keep up with your kid. I have had people that were larger than me give me hell that I don't need to work out because I'm naturally skinny and that gets under my skin so badly.

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts