Single Moms

neveragain17
Child support question
December 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Ok so I just got my papers in the mail yesterday and I was wondering how this works (I live in CA) I revive cash aid so I know th money goes back to the state but I've heard I get some of the money and how does it wrk when he files income tax...?

Replies

• victoriahearts
    December 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I'm not sure about california but in NY if you already have CS in place and he hasn't paid for x amount of time, if he is working his pay check will be garnished as well as income tax refund if he gets one, NY is serious about getting there money in a situation where the state is giving aid to you. If your state works like ours you should be able to see some money when his refund is garnish. If he doesn't have a job and is unable to pay then he would get put in jail here. 

• neveragain17
    December 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM
    Oh wow they dnt play in Ny lol but yeah he wrks and has been the whole time just hasn't helped any

Quoting victoriahearts:

I'm not sure about california but in NY if you already have CS in place and he hasn't paid for x amount of time, if he is working his pay check will be garnished as well as income tax refund if he gets one, NY is serious about getting there money in a situation where the state is giving aid to you. If your state works like ours you should be able to see some money when his refund is garnish. If he doesn't have a job and is unable to pay then he would get put in jail here. 

• victoriahearts
    December 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Yeah lol Especially in situation when the state is giving aid to the parent because of lack of income, yeah they want there money. You will still get the money slowly because they can only garnish a percent of his wages but they will take the full refund for his income taxes if he gets any. The bad news is that once you start receiving CS you will probably lose assitance from the state but best of luck. 

Quoting neveragain17:

Oh wow they dnt play in Ny lol but yeah he wrks and has been the whole time just hasn't helped any

Quoting victoriahearts:

• neveragain17
    December 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    Quoting victoriahearts:

Yeah I'll lose the aid but its ok I'm 36 hours away from finishing my intern hours and I can start looking for a job...!! :)
  • GI_Jane230
    December 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

His being married makes no difference.  My sons "father" got married shortly after my son was born.  My son is 21 and I still get his tax refunds because he is that far behind.  If he files taxes and gets a refund, you should get something.  Keep in mind if he doesn't get a refund, there is nothing for you to  get. 

Single Moms