Single Moms

Featured Posts
easinpc
Food bank donations - kinda long sorry!
by easinpc
November 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

This year for Thanksgiving my son's school sent home a letter saying that the food bank that serves our area was asking for help with creating their Thanksgiving food baskets. They were asking each of the different grades in the elementary to bring different items that were included in the basket. My sons grade was asked to bring boxed instant mashed potatoes. So last weekend when we were grocery shopping we picked up a couple boxes and he took them into school. Well yesterday when we were grocery shopping when we were in that isle my son said that he was kinda sad because only a few kids had been able to bring in boxes so far (it goes thru this Friday) and wanted to know if I would let him take in a couple more boxes so that way he could help make sure that kids could have a good meal for Thanksgiving. It made me smile to hear him ask and I told him that yes he could, so he grabbed a couple more boxes and took them into school this morning.

Donating to this food bank has always been important to him. Earlier this year when they were having a can drive thru his church (he goes with his dad) he asked me if I would take him to Aldi's so he could buy can goods with his money he had saved up. My son took the $40 he had saved and was going to use to buy a new toy truck he wanted and instead used it to buy a bunch of canned goods to donate. While we were standing in line he was telling the lady behind us about why we had so many cans and she smiled and told him that was very kind of him. Well after he paid and we were out loading the cans (in flats) into my car she came out and handed us another 4 flats of canned goods (around 40 cans of veggies) and asked us to donate those as well. She told us her story about how right after her divorce a few years ago she had to rely on a food bank to feed her and her 3 children and now that she is able to she likes to pay it forward and help others. My son has told me several times it was hearing her story and seeing how it can help others (especially kids) that makes him want to really help our local food bank because it may be his friends that are needing the food from there.

I guess I don't really have a point to this post besides me just wanting to share this moment with others. Its small things that my son does like this that make me feel like I must be doing something right in parenting him!

Feel free to share moments you've had with your children that warm your heart and make you feel like you're doing something right with them!

Replies

• Robsessed98
    November 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    Thats awesome. You're right in being so proud of him.
  • amonkeymom
    November 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM

What a sweet boy you have!

My kids and I volunteer at our local food bank.  I've needed to use it myself in the past (many years ago) and was so glad it was there and we love giving back.  My kids (15 & 11) love seeing the smiles on people's faces, especially the children, when we help out.  My 15 year old has even gotten her best friend to start volunteering with her so they can watch out for eachother when I'm not able to be there (they can't help clients out to their cars with items unless they stay together).

• easinpc
    by easinpc
    November 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Thats awesome! 

Quoting amonkeymom:

What a sweet boy you have!

My kids and I volunteer at our local food bank.  I've needed to use it myself in the past (many years ago) and was so glad it was there and we love giving back.  My kids (15 & 11) love seeing the smiles on people's faces, especially the children, when we help out.  My 15 year old has even gotten her best friend to start volunteering with her so they can watch out for eachother when I'm not able to be there (they can't help clients out to their cars with items unless they stay together).

• Mommyto2LilMen
    November 5, 2012 at 10:59 PM

How awesome!!!

• tyfry7496
    November 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    You have one amazing son!!
  • mytrueloveS
    November 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Agreed, something to be very proud of.  

• LifeCafe42
    November 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    That's amazing!!! You have one special kid there!
  • easinpc
    by easinpc
    November 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Thank you!

Quoting tyfry7496:

You have one amazing son!!

• PaperClip811
    November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    What a kind and thoughtful boy you have :-)
  • michiganmom5150
    November 7, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    It's great that your son is like that! My son helps at our churches food pantry. He has helped pack bags since he was 2. I think it makes kids think and be grateful when they realize not everyone has food on their table. Keep up the good work!

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts