Single Moms

Featured Posts
iHay
It just hit me.
by iHay
October 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM
I'm a stepmom. I was just married yesterday and tonight is the first night we have his kids. Wow. It feels weird to be someones stepmom.
any tips on dealing with this? He has custody of them most of the time so they'll be living with us. Eeks.

Replies

• Robsessed98
    October 13, 2012 at 1:15 AM
    Congrats! Treat them as if they were your own children, but never try to be their mommy. They already have one of those. Let dh deal with all issues between him and the mom. Other than that, enjoy being married with children.
  • DCR1
    by DCR1
    October 13, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Congratulations to you, my advice is to remember where to draw the line in as much as being a parent and a freind are concerned so as not to get stuck when you need to be a parent, this way you won't have a hard time discipilning when needed.Also, if they haven't already embraced you give them time they will, with your smile it'd be kind of hard not to.

• kary1124
    October 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM

congrats! im in about the same boat, we havent gotten married yet but we're planning on it soon and he's got a 4 yr old dd that he has full custody of and a 5 month old ds that hes filing for joint custody of, with his dd her mom physically cant care of her so really im the closes thing to a mom shes got, but i dont try to replace her mom, if that makes any sense lol. but i love both of his kids as thou they were mine, i also have an almost 3 yr old so we always have our hands fill. but yea, just love them like theyre yours but dont try to replace their mom... my step dad did that and me and my sibling hated him..

• mytrueloveS
    October 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Congrats!!  Sorry I date a man with no kids.  He just treats my son with respect, and I think that works with my kid.  

• SinceresMomma
    October 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    Congrats!!!
  • iHay
    by iHay
    October 14, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    Thank you guys. We moved me into his house yesterday so im commited now! Lol. It just feels so weird to be a stepmom. And right now i am having one of those moments, everyone is in bed but me cause i woke up thinking "what have i gotten myself into?!?" everything has been going awesome but i cant help worrying. Once you've been married to someone like my ex husband marriage becomes a scary thing. Lol i have no idea where im going with this really, just need to talk it out i guess.
    thanks again though. The kids seem to like me so far lol ;)
  • Eshadowgirl
    October 14, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Congrats!

I got married back in July. Ive got a stepson that is 17. ((Im 34, my DH is 50))

He also has 2 grown daughters, but they are not involved in his life(long story). 

We are in process of TTC 1 of our own. :)

I love being a stepmom...Hes a good kid..Just treat them like your own, but dont "mommy" them. Let your hubby deal with their mom..and partner up for the rules stuff and household stuff. It'll be fine!

• iHay
    by iHay
    October 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Wow. Thats quite an age difference. In the kids i mean. My stepkids are 5 and 6 years older than my son and i thought that seemed like a lot lol. And thank you. Good luck with ttc :)

Quoting Eshadowgirl:

Congrats!

I got married back in July. Ive got a stepson that is 17. ((Im 34, my DH is 50))

He also has 2 grown daughters, but they are not involved in his life(long story). 

We are in process of TTC 1 of our own. :)

I love being a stepmom...Hes a good kid..Just treat them like your own, but dont "mommy" them. Let your hubby deal with their mom..and partner up for the rules stuff and household stuff. It'll be fine!

• Mommyto2LilMen
    October 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    Congrats!! My only tip is treat them as your own, but don't try to replace their mom.

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN