Single Moms

Cafe AmyS
How is your child's self-esteem?
October 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I saw this in The Stir - Do you think your child has a healthy self-esteem or needs a boost?

How to Boost Your Kid's Self-Esteem

Posted by Amy Kuras on October 10, 2012 

Rejection and failure hurt when it happens to us, but when it happens to our kids? Now that's truly painful. Seeing them sad just tears our mom hearts right out.

Sympathizing and comforting them is important, of course, but how can we empower them to take failures in stride and learn from them to become confident and caring people?

Karen Walrond of Chookoloonks fame takes this topic on in the latest episode of her show. She and Dr. Laura Markham talk about how to get kids through tough times and boost their self-esteem in an empowering way. Check it out below.

The most important thing, they say, is to validate your kids. Rather than applaud their accomplishments or ask how they did on a test or in a game, praise the way they do something. For example, if your child is struggling with homework, praise how they keep at it and figure it out. If they are facing issues with friends, tell them you know it hurts instead of trying to cheer them up. And the sweetest thing? Praise something about who your child is. "I love the way you whistle all the time," for example, or, "It makes me happy to watch you play soccer."

Check out the video: It's less than eight minutes to better parenting!

How do you empower your kids?

Replies

• PeaceLoveZ
    October 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

My son is like his mother, he doesn't lack self-esteem in the slightest! I remind him every day how amazing he is and when he does good, he is rewarded. Positive reinforcements. I also hug, and smooch, and ooze love on him and I truly believe that aids to the confidence of your child. My parents were more oozey w/ me than my other siblings & I have WAY much more confidence, I'm also better than them all, lol, but that's just a "Baby of the Family" Thing.

• brieri
    by brieri
    October 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Keep striving to show them I do care about them, whether their father thinks otherwise.

• Robsessed98
    October 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    Ive always praised and validated my kids. My oldest has always had self esteem issues anyway due to a traumatic experience in the 5th grade, but over the years it has improved. My youngests self esteem has always been high, but she goes through low periods with it when she spends a few days with her dad who always criticizes her and treats her like shes not good enough.

Single Moms