Single Moms

Featured Posts
pce68
I don't know how to make it all work
by pce68
October 4, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I just don't know how to make it work, how to manage to have enough money to pay all my bills. I tried to get food stamps and they said i was over their limit. I only bring home about $1500/month after taxes, and if and when I get child support, that's another $590. I just don't know how to pay rent, electricity, gas, phone, and groceries on that. Not to mention all the other expenses that come up. I add it up a million times and it just doesn't work. Or it works on paper, if no other things come up, but something always comes up. I'll have it all figured out, and think I am doing good, then suddenly my dd will need something for a school project, or she needs new clothes or shoes, or one of us will get sick, and then suddenly I have to spend extra money and then everything gets messed up and I no longer have enough for my bills. Right now, I have no money to pay rent. I will probably not even see my paycheck this week bc my checking account is so overdrawn. I have no money for groceries. Electricity bill is coming up soon. I never have enough for gas for the whole week. I just don't know how to do it anymore, and I am so tired of struggling all the time.

Replies

• roxmom202
    October 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Im in the same boat! how much is your rent? with 1500.00 and 590.00 in child support u should be able to pay rent, utilities, unless u have a car payment and lots of credit cards.  I do not make that much and have a 1 bedroom, no child support, and barely get by every month, you have to budget big time. Write back if you want to talk, I know how your feeling

• PaperClip811
    October 4, 2012 at 1:05 AM
    Where do you live?

Budget budget budget!!

Just because you don't qualify for food stamps doesn't mean there aren't other programs to help. Look into gov subsidized housing (this is not the same as section 8) to find places with reduced rent based on income.. You mentioned medical bills, have you applied for state health care/reduced health care?

Meal plan, don't use credit cards, have a written budget. It's hard once you have dug yourself into a hole.. Try to keep your head above water and if you get a nice tax return avoid spending it on luxury items. I used my tax return to subsidize for daycare for a couple years.

You can do it :)
  • 3Dani75
    by 3Dani75
    October 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I know how hard it is to stick to a budget when you have to do it all alone. I have 3 kids, NO support (fathers signed away parental rights) & we do it with only $668 a month so we qualify for FS-also $668 monthly!!! I have never & will never have a credit card, I pay cash or use my ATM card for everything! I have only one debt, a Verizon cell phone from last year which is almost paid off & will be completely paid off in the spring.

Is the cost of living in your area high? Do you have the most basic plans on all your extras (cable, phone, Internet,etc...) Unplug the things you can when not in use (can opener, chargers, toaster, etc...) Only use lights in rooms your in, turn them off as you leave the room! Carpool if you can! Use coupons, shop at dollar stores, there are ways to save money if you try...If you don't qualify for FS can you at least qualify for help with paying childcare or HEAP for electric/heating? Is there a friend/family member you could pay less to for watching your daughter when she isn't in school? How old is your child? Use your income tax return (if you get one) to pay off old debt or get caught up on your regular bills (both if the return is enough) Start with your smaller bills & work up to the bigger ones, call the companies to see about lowering interest rate or getting a deferment or some of the amount owed! I have no idea what your actual bills are every month but get rid of anything that is not an absolute necessity. 

It's hard to dig out of debt but it can be done...it's also hard to stick to a budget but this also can be done...good luck!!!

• Robsessed98
    October 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    All I can say is welcome to my world. Its a constant juggling act and every month something has to go without being taken care of. Wish I had some advice, but Im out of ideas... Other than finding a sugar daddy and sometimes that is very tempting lol
  • Robsessed98
    October 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    All I can say is welcome to my world. Its a constant juggling act and every month something has to go without being taken care of. Wish I had some advice, but Im out of ideas... Other than finding a sugar daddy and sometimes that is very tempting lol
  • ayacocca
    October 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Girl... I feel you. It sounds impossible, and I know that you are tired of hearing it- but pls try to budget. I'm battling with this myself. Its so difficult for me, but I've been couponing, buying generic; girl dollar tree has more name brands now at only $1!  I recently consolidated my credit cards; they are more a hinderence than anything. Also, with your monthly bills- if need be, change your due dates. they will assist you w/ that.. partial payments as well. And I cook two-three big meals per week so we can eat on it a few nites and I dont have to spend as much on food. I was denied FS as well; how IDK with 3 kids.. But it'll work out, for you as well as I. We just have to buckle down and make it work. We can and we will.

• pce68
    by pce68
    October 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I think groceries and eating out are the biggest things that mess up my budget. I wrote down a budget yesterday and if I am very careful I can make it, but it's when little things come along that everything gets messed up. Like I was doing well, and then back in July I didn't get child support, so then all the other bills got messed up and I got so behind with everything that I am still trying to pull myself out. I just cashed in some stock I had, that I had forgotten about, and that will give me some money. Hopefully it will come soon because I haven't paid rent yet, and they will go file eviction papers if I don't pay by the 15th.

• MommyAJ2921
    October 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Don't know where you live but check with the local churches and charities..this is an emergency..they may be able to help..also check with the local government to see if they have a rental assistance program...be sure to let the folk in the rental office know in writing what your situation is. Get written notification from the rental office of what you owe and where you stand as most places may request it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Will be praying for you. 

Quoting pce68:

I think groceries and eating out are the biggest things that mess up my budget. I wrote down a budget yesterday and if I am very careful I can make it, but it's when little things come along that everything gets messed up. Like I was doing well, and then back in July I didn't get child support, so then all the other bills got messed up and I got so behind with everything that I am still trying to pull myself out. I just cashed in some stock I had, that I had forgotten about, and that will give me some money. Hopefully it will come soon because I haven't paid rent yet, and they will go file eviction papers if I don't pay by the 15th.

Single Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN