Choosing Not to Vaccinate

lovejoshthomas
Family trying to guilt trip
January 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Anyone have any experience with this? Like I said before, I am new to all of this, first time mom. I'm staying with my mom and sister currently, my husband is deployed. I feel very strongly about all of this & at first I had support... now that I've done my research & it's a definite no, I will not be vaccinating, it seems like my mom does not support it at all. And that's fine, I don't need anyone's approval to raise my child the way that I feel is right in my heart. But it makes me upset that someone, especially family, is going to speak with no knowledge of the 'other side' of what vaccines are and what they contain and then talk to me like I'm crazy.

I guess I'm going to need to get used to this fast. Atleast my husband understands... 

Replies

• Baby4us09
    January 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    So sorry. I feel your pain. I would tell her that you are making an informed decision. She did what she felt was right and now you are doing what you feel is right. Also don't discuss it with her.
  • tansyflower
    January 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM

sometimes you just have to shut it down.  say something respectful like "thank you for your concern but this topic is not up for discussion" then redirect the conversation.  my husbands side of the family thinks i am crazy for not vaxing and so it is a subject that i refuse to discuss with them.

• emmy526
    by emmy526
    January 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

yes, if the hounding continues, simply keep repeating, 'it's not up for discussion anymore, as i've done my research like you did yours.. the matter is now closed'.  

• nicki.hemingway
    January 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM

It took nearly 2 years before my pro-vax mother got on board with our decesion.  I think it was a combination of her finally reading the info I brought to her and seeing the long term effects in my ds.

• Proud2BWeird
    January 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM
    Unfortunately, you are going to have to get used to it. You'll get it from many, many people. Most of whom have never done an iota of research, and simply quote what they've heard. Most of them seem to never listen to or read any information that goes against their short-sighted view.
  • mjrex87
    by mjrex87
    January 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM

People tend to argue over hot topics when they have no real knowledge....They believe the lies we've all been fed our whole lives and think they know what they are talking about. Most people I know are like this when it comes to vaccines. A LOT of people who strongly support vaccines don't know more than "vaccines prevent diseases" and think anyone who says differently is cray because that "experts" say vaccines save lives. It's sad, but just the way most people are. :-/

• emmy526
    by emmy526
    January 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM

there is a printable pamplet one of the moms on here made and the info cited is from sources their own drs use..i'll find the link an post it

• Isabelles_mommy
    January 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I think people need to learn that they can give advice, but don't expect anyone to take it. it's your choice. And yes thank God for the hubby agreeing, I've seen some nasty things when the spouse doesn't agree.

• triciax79
    January 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM

It's good your husband is on board, honestly that is all that matters. It is hard when family tries to guilt trip you, just have some FACTS to throw at them to shut down their arguments (maybe even some articles for them to read and become educated about) and be prepared to deal with guilt trips forever. Not just from family but from doctors and nurses and anyone else who happens to find out you *gasp* don't inject your kids with poison. I never realized what a battle it would be when i decided not to vax, but it is a battle i will fight to the bitter end for the sake of my LO.  You are your child's advocate and you know what you are doing is right. Would you let your mother make you feel guilty if someone was trying to cut your kid with a knife under the ruse of "it's going to hurt now but it's good for them in the long run".... No guilt in stopping that and no guilt from doing something just as dangerous! Stay strong girl. You got this! 

Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN