Family Tree Moms

Raesreppilf
Nevada and Delaware
April 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

are indexed at Ancestry.com.  If you have family living in either state in 1940 you should be able to search by name for them.  Good luck and I'll keep everyone updated when they complete other states. 

Replies

• DawnPratt23
    April 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Thank you for posting, this week has been crazy. Here is an updated list with the order they will be available. With over 100million hits a day this is going to be accomplished fast. http://dawnsdelightsart.com/2012/04/1940s-us-census-update.html

Currently, there is 13 states AVAILABLE FOR INDEXING:
    Delaware – 95% complete (should be done today)
    Virginia
    Kansas
    Oregon
    Colorado
    Florida
    Mississippi
    Louisiana
    Oklahoma
    Alabama
    Minnesota
    New Hampshire
    California
    Pennsylvania

The following list represents the order of the states as they will be released for indexing in the coming weeks:
    Texas
    New York
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Utah
    Missouri
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Washington
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Maryland
    Nebraska
    Tennessee
    Kentucky
    Arkansas
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Nevada
    South Carolina
    Wisconsin
    Arizona
    Connecticut
    District of Columbia
    Iowa
    Maine
    Montana
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    North Dakota
    Rhode Island
    South Dakota
    Vermont
    West Virginia
    Wyoming
    Alaska Territory
    Hawaii Territory
    Guam
    Panama Canal Zone
    American Samoa
    US Virgin Islands
    Puerto Rico
    *Please note that the order of release is subject to change, but that this is the plan as of now.   And don’t forget that volunteers can enter the 1940′s US Census Contest at the blog

• Connie127
    April 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    thanks
  • Raesreppilf
    April 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Thank you for posting, this week has been crazy. Here is an updated list with the order they will be available. With over 100million hits a day this is going to be accomplished fast. http://dawnsdelightsart.com/2012/04/1940s-us-census-update.html

Virginia
    Kansas
    Oregon
    Colorado
    Florida
    Mississippi
    Louisiana
    Oklahoma
    Alabama
    Minnesota
    New Hampshire
    California
    Pennsylvania

The following list represents the order of the states as they will be released for indexing in the coming weeks:
    Texas
    New York
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Utah
    Missouri
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Washington
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Maryland
    Nebraska
    Tennessee
    Kentucky
    Arkansas
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Nevada
    South Carolina
    Wisconsin
    Arizona
    Connecticut
    District of Columbia
    Iowa
    Maine
    Montana
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    North Dakota
    Rhode Island
    South Dakota
    Vermont
    West Virginia
    Wyoming
    Alaska Territory
    Hawaii Territory
    Guam
    Panama Canal Zone
    American Samoa
    US Virgin Islands
    Puerto Rico
    *Please note that the order of release is subject to change, but that this is the plan as of now.   And don’t forget that volunteers can enter the 1940′s US Census Contest at the blog

Thanks for posting the list of the order the states will be made for indexing.  The turn out for the indexing has been great and I hope the effort doesn't fade.

Familysearch.org (and the sites that they have teamed up with) are rolling out the 1940 census after volunteers have indexed the pages of the census.  They need as many people as they can get to help out with the indexing so the census will be search-able by name for any seeking their family..  

Ancestry.com has the 1940 census online to view and are using their own team of professionals to index the census.  

I don't want anyone to get confused.  Ancestry did not team up with Familysearch,  et al so the roll out process will be different from these sites.  Dawn replied with the list for the Familysearch process and the order the states will be indexed.  My OP was about Ancestry.com's completed indexing of Delaware and Nevada (every name search-able index.)

• DawnPratt23
    April 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

This is true, Ancestry and WorldVitalRecords( My Heritage), have their own teams that are also indexing. My list is what I have gotten from Family Search and the teams that are working together through the 1940census blog will be updating the list as the National Archives releases states for ALL, including Ancestry/WorldVitalRecords to start indexing. This is a large effort to get these completed for people to view. I am really impressed with all the help everyone has done to get these documents indexed :)

Quoting Raesreppilf:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Virginia
    Kansas
    Oregon
    Colorado
    Florida
    Mississippi
    Louisiana
    Oklahoma
    Alabama
    Minnesota
    New Hampshire
    California
    Pennsylvania

Texas
    New York
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Utah
    Missouri
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Washington
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Maryland
    Nebraska
    Tennessee
    Kentucky
    Arkansas
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Nevada
    South Carolina
    Wisconsin
    Arizona
    Connecticut
    District of Columbia
    Iowa
    Maine
    Montana
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    North Dakota
    Rhode Island
    South Dakota
    Vermont
    West Virginia
    Wyoming
    Alaska Territory
    Hawaii Territory
    Guam
    Panama Canal Zone
    American Samoa
    US Virgin Islands
    Puerto Rico

Thanks for posting the list of the order the states will be made for indexing.  The turn out for the indexing has been great and I hope the effort doesn't fade.

Familysearch.org (and the sites that they have teamed up with) are rolling out the 1940 census after volunteers have indexed the pages of the census.  They need as many people as they can get to help out with the indexing so the census will be search-able by name for any seeking their family..  

Ancestry.com has the 1940 census online to view and are using their own team of professionals to index the census.  

I don't want anyone to get confused.  Ancestry did not team up with Familysearch,  et al so the roll out process will be different from these sites.  Dawn replied with the list for the Familysearch process and the order the states will be indexed.  My OP was about Ancestry.com's completed indexing of Delaware and Nevada (every name search-able index.)

• DawnPratt23
    April 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I just received an email from Ancestry that all indexing was done. Now according to my resources National Archives hasn't released all of the documents. I have sent out an email to see if the indexing is indeed down or what is going on. Seems like all these groups which are all in Utah would be on the same page. You'd think right?

• Raesreppilf
    April 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Interesting.  On the Ancestry site they say they have all the images online.  They have completed indexing Nevada and Delaware (these can be searched by surname).  They are currently indexing District of Columbia.

From Ancestry.com:

Progress of the 1940 Census on Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com took delivery of the 1940 census from the National Archives at 12:01 a.m. on April 2, 2012. As of 4:09 am April 6, 2012 all images of the 1940 census have been uploaded. You are able to browse these images by enumeration district (see below for more information) to find your family’s neighborhood.

Indexing Status

Ancestry.com is also currently indexing each page of the 1940 census. Once a state is finished, you’ll be able to search for that state’s residents by name in this collection. Until then, use ourenumeration district finder to help you locate your family’s neighborhood in 1940; then click through to the enumeration district and browse page by page, looking at the left-hand column of the census until you find the name of the street your family lived on.

Below is the current image and index status by state:

State  Image Status  Index Status 
     Alabama  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Alaska  Completed 4/5/2012   
     American Samoa  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Arizona  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Arkansas  Completed 4/6/2012   
     California  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Colorado  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Connecticut  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Delaware  Completed 4/2/2012  Completed 4/5/2012 
     District of Columbia  Completed 4/2/2012  In Process* 
     Florida  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Georgia  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Guam  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Hawaii  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Idaho  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Illinois  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Indiana  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Iowa  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Kansas  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Kentucky  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Louisiana  Completed 4/6/2012   
     Maine  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Maryland  Completed 4/6/2012   
     Massachusetts  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Michigan  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Minnesota  Completed 4/6/2012   
     Mississippi  Completed 4/6/2012   
     Missouri  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Montana  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Nebraska  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Nevada  Completed 4/2/2012  Completed 4/5/2012 
     New Hampshire  Completed 4/5/2012   
     New Jersey  Completed 4/5/2012   
     New Mexico  Completed 4/5/2012   
     New York  Completed 4/3/2012   
     North Carolina  Completed 4/3/2012   
     North Dakota  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Ohio  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Oklahoma  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Oregon  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Panama Canal Zone  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Pennsylvania  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Puerto Rico  Completed 4/6/2012   
     Rhode Island  Completed 4/2/2012   
     South Carolina  Completed 4/6/2012   
     South Dakota  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Tennessee  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Texas  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Utah  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Vermont  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Virgin Islands  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Virginia  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Washington  Completed 4/3/2012   
     West Virginia  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Wisconsin  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Wyoming  Completed 4/4/2012   

*Image and Index status was updated at 4:09 am MDT, 06 Apr 2012.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I just received an email from Ancestry that all indexing was done. Now according to my resources National Archives hasn't released all of the documents. I have sent out an email to see if the indexing is indeed down or what is going on. Seems like all these groups which are all in Utah would be on the same page. You'd think right?

• DawnPratt23
    April 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

That is interesting, I am waiting for an email back. I know that National Archives didn't release any before the 2nd. I'm clearifying it, with my affiliate manager to see if he meant images not indexing. It has been a long week getting all this organized. The turn out was more than expected, very exciting though. 

Quoting Raesreppilf:

Interesting.  On the Ancestry site they say they have all the images online.  They have completed indexing Nevada and Delaware (these can be searched by surname).  They are currently indexing District of Columbia.

From Ancestry.com:

Progress of the 1940 Census on Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com took delivery of the 1940 census from the National Archives at 12:01 a.m. on April 2, 2012. As of 4:09 am April 6, 2012 all images of the 1940 census have been uploaded. You are able to browse these images by enumeration district (see below for more information) to find your family’s neighborhood.

Indexing Status

Ancestry.com is also currently indexing each page of the 1940 census. Once a state is finished, you’ll be able to search for that state’s residents by name in this collection. Until then, use ourenumeration district finder to help you locate your family’s neighborhood in 1940; then click through to the enumeration district and browse page by page, looking at the left-hand column of the census until you find the name of the street your family lived on.

Below is the current image and index status by state:

State  Image Status  Index Status 
     Alabama  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Alaska  Completed 4/5/2012   
     American Samoa  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Arizona  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Arkansas  Completed 4/6/2012   
     California  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Colorado  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Connecticut  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Delaware  Completed 4/2/2012  Completed 4/5/2012 
     District of Columbia  Completed 4/2/2012  In Process* 
     Florida  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Georgia  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Guam  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Hawaii  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Idaho  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Illinois  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Indiana  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Iowa  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Kansas  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Kentucky  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Louisiana  Completed 4/6/2012   
     Maine  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Maryland  Completed 4/6/2012   
     Massachusetts  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Michigan  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Minnesota  Completed 4/6/2012   
     Mississippi  Completed 4/6/2012   
     Missouri  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Montana  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Nebraska  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Nevada  Completed 4/2/2012  Completed 4/5/2012 
     New Hampshire  Completed 4/5/2012   
     New Jersey  Completed 4/5/2012   
     New Mexico  Completed 4/5/2012   
     New York  Completed 4/3/2012   
     North Carolina  Completed 4/3/2012   
     North Dakota  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Ohio  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Oklahoma  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Oregon  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Panama Canal Zone  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Pennsylvania  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Puerto Rico  Completed 4/6/2012   
     Rhode Island  Completed 4/2/2012   
     South Carolina  Completed 4/6/2012   
     South Dakota  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Tennessee  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Texas  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Utah  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Vermont  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Virgin Islands  Completed 4/2/2012   
     Virginia  Completed 4/3/2012   
     Washington  Completed 4/3/2012   
     West Virginia  Completed 4/4/2012   
     Wisconsin  Completed 4/5/2012   
     Wyoming  Completed 4/4/2012   

*Image and Index status was updated at 4:09 am MDT, 06 Apr 2012.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

• DawnPratt23
    April 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM

ok, this is the response I got back from the Family Search.org on indexing. The link provides an interactive map that will show the process of the indexing. 

• There are still states that haven't gone live for indexing yet. All the states should be live in 1-2 weeks and there is still allot of indexing to be done. Here is a map to show you how the indexing is going.https://www.familysearch.org/1940census/

• Raesreppilf
    April 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM

That makes more sense.  It gets confusing when different companies work on the same project with the same goal in mind, but go about things in completely different manners.  I was just indexing some more at family search and was looking at that map.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

ok, this is the response I got back from the Family Search.org on indexing. The link provides an interactive map that will show the process of the indexing. 

• There are still states that haven't gone live for indexing yet. All the states should be live in 1-2 weeks and there is still allot of indexing to be done. Here is a map to show you how the indexing is going.https://www.familysearch.org/1940census/

• DawnPratt23
    April 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

It is also funny that these companies are all in Utah. Get on the same page :) I hope I can get some done this weekend. It has been a long week. 

Quoting Raesreppilf:

That makes more sense.  It gets confusing when different companies work on the same project with the same goal in mind, but go about things in completely different manners.  I was just indexing some more at family search and was looking at that map.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Family Tree Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN