Mamagirlz
Can cats with no claws survive outside?
September 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Can cats survive outside if they have no claws whats so ever?  I don't really want to get rid of my cat but really have no choice.  I did put him on Free Cycle and so far no one has responded.  He won't stop peeing on our rugs and if I leave the baby's room open he will pee on that carpet.  Baby isn't here yet but I don't want to deal with this cat peeing on my baby's floor b/c it can't be closed all the time then.  He's fixed and has no claws and he's been to the Dr. several times for his nasty habit.  Nothing I can do about it.  He's stuck in his ways. 

FYI: I do love my cat and I'm asking b/c I am concerned about his safety.  He's still in the house with me and will be till I can figure out what's the best option for him.  I'm hoping someone will give him a home because that's what I truly want for him.

Replies

• canthaveboys1
    September 25, 2009 at 11:11 AM

If they did survive it would be a miracle. 

• ready_for2
    September 25, 2009 at 11:12 AM

take him to a non-euthanizing shelter. DO NOT PUT A DEFENSELESS CAT OUTSIDE TO FEND FOR ITSELF!!! that is CRUEL. cats shouldnt be declawed anyway, it is very painful and how would you like if someone ripped all of your nails out

• LvnDeadGrl
    September 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM

They CAN, but generally they do so by hiding and digging in people's trash. With no claws they can not defend themselves and they certainly can't hunt nearly as well.

• Mamagirlz
    September 25, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I didn't know I asked anyone's thoughts on the declawing.  I just wanted to make sure before I did it that he would survive.

Quoting ready_for2:

take him to a non-euthanizing shelter. DO NOT PUT A DEFENSELESS CAT OUTSIDE TO FEND FOR ITSELF!!! that is CRUEL. cats shouldnt be declawed anyway, it is very painful and how would you like if someone ripped all of your nails out

• meagansmama1009

no they cant survive. Im surprised your vet didnt give you a big warning when you had him declawed. Without claws they cant protect themselves from other animals, other aggressive cats, or climb trees (and other things cats climb to get away). Have you tried the No pee spray? You spray it where you dont want them going at and it supposedly works. Hope you find your cat a home! 

• Mamagirlz

That's what I figured.  I'll just wait for someone to respond on Free Cycle.  Thanks.

Quoting LvnDeadGrl:

They CAN, but generally they do so by hiding and digging in people's trash. With no claws they can not defend themselves and they certainly can't hunt nearly as well.

• mitch576
    September 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Quoting canthaveboys1:

If they did survive it would be a miracle. 

they survive with no problem at all. i had two declawed cats who had no problems going out and hunting and fighting.  and...they came here declawed.

anyway.... DO NOT DO THAT TO THE CAT! bring it to the shelter so it has a shot at being rehomed... just taking a domestic animal and throwing it away like that is morally repugnant!  you don't take an animal unless you are prepared to deal with situations like this. don't want the cat? fine... be responsible and bring it to the shelter

• MommySteph06
    September 25, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Maybe it's mean, maybe it's not, but my mom threw our cat outside for the same thing. He kept peeing on everything. It was ridiculous. He had no claws (front or back). He stuck around the house, we let him in the garage it was really cold or really hot, fed him, everything- he was just an outdoor cat. He never had a scratch on him. He lived to be 18 years old.

• Mackenzi

If you put the cat outside, it will not be able to defend itself with no claws. Have you tried to give it to a good home or sell it? You may want to try that before giving the cat to a shelter.

• edwardsgirl

don't throw him outside.  He will be defenseless if you throw him out. Don't throw him outdoors.
    Typically when a cat pees like that it is either physical or its mental. Is the litter box cleaned? Is he getting enough attention? A cat will act out if they are "neglected". Maybe he senses that things are changing and he is not happy about it.

How old is the cat?