The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
wokingmommy
Picky Eaters
June 28, 2007 at 9:59 AM
My kids, ages 3 and 5, are picky eaters.  Then again, I guess a lot of kids are at this age.  My 3 year old daughter is not too bad and I'm excited that she likes veggies like broccoli and carrots more than cake and cookies.   My son however is the problem.  I can't get him to eat any vegetable to save my life.  He'll eat chicken nuggets, tacos, grilled cheese, hot dogs, pizza and corn dogs.  I know this sounds ok but it's a fight to get him to try anything else.  Right now I make separate meals.  The kids eat whatever my son is willing to eat and I make something else for myself and my husband.  If I tell him he won't get anything to eat unless he eats what I make for the family he's stubborn and won't eat. I want to start making a monthly meal plan but it's hard to do because of his pickyness.   Does anyone have any suggestions so that I can get us all to eat the same thing?  This is getting frustrating and I'm tired at guessing what we're going to eat from day to day.

Replies

• Apples2Oranges
    June 28, 2007 at 10:53 AM
    Been there, done that!  My daughter is the picky eater in my family.  I was cooking separate meals until my Mom told me to stop being a short order cook.  She said unless there are dietary allergies, there is no need to cook separate meals.  I cooked dinner and my daughter refused to eat anything.  It was VERY hard watching my daughter not eat anything for dinner.  She tried to convince me to make her something different and I held my ground.  It was soooo hard!!  I felt like such a bad mother because I thought I was depriving her of a good dinner.  There was a battle of wills and this was a hill I had to conquer.  She would often go to bed without eating dinner and I was so afraid she was going to get sick.  I called the pediatrician to make sure she would not suffer.  The pediatrician was so great.  He told me she will not starve and once she realized this was the rule of the house, her body would crave food and she would have to eat.  It took about 2 weeks for this battle to end.  I can thankfully say, she now eats what is placed in front of her.  She may not eat everything and she still picks at the food.  At least I am no longer cooking different meals.  Good luck!
  • amandasrainbow
    June 28, 2007 at 4:26 PM
    Good luck.
    I'm still making seperate things most of the time.

Happy Thursday ;

Amanda

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN