The CafeMom Newcomers Club

april_fooler
How old was your LO when you stopped BFing?
July 16 at 10:10 AM

So i have two questions. 
1) At what age did you stop breastfeeding 
2) How did your baby let you know they were ready to stop breastfeeding? 

I keep getting asked when im going to stop breastfeeding, my DD is approaching nearly 4 months but neither me or her are ready to stop yet. I was thinking about a year old. Just wondering if your baby let you know or if you just decided to stop.

Replies

• SuperPickle
    July 16 at 10:13 AM

My oldests nursed through my second pregnancy and tandem nursed for about 2 months after that so he was just over 2 (26-27 months). He was not happy with the newborn supply I had developed instead of his regular low flow.

My middle son stopped nursing on his own at about 15 months. He was never a strong nurser to begin with and he just didnt seem to "have time" for nursing LOL.

My youngest son was just about 2 when I decided I was done nursing. He didnt have any issue with the cutoff...

• wissotamum
    July 16 at 10:18 AM

My first was a year. She was nursing for shorter and shorter periods and would get distracted really easily.

With the twins, I nursed them for about 13 months.  By then, it was really hard to nurse them at the same time because they would interact with each other so much, they wouldn't actually nurse.  I knew they were my last babies and I didn't feel like being done, so I pumped and donated milk for the next 2 months.  I figured, that way, if they wanted to take it up again, I'd still have a supply.

• MixedCooke
    July 16 at 10:23 AM
    Mine never latched so I wanted to make it to at least a year and ended up pumping until she was 18 months old.
  • jconney80
    July 16 at 2:23 PM
    I'm sorry they're harassing you about nursing at 4 months. Wow that's ignorant! I've nursed both kids past the age of 2. A baby isn't going to let you know they're done nursing because milk is the number one food they need for the first year. Everything else is just for fun. Have you checked out the Breastfeeding Moms group yet? When I first started nursing I set my goal to a year. That's a great goal to have. I ended up reading about nursing to 2 years old at least being the norm and the best for them so I kept going but it really is no one else's business but yours. And I would tell people that when they asked me lol =)
  • Mrs_Snail
    July 16 at 6:00 PM
    I stopped when my baby was 40 days old after the analysis of my breast milk that showd almost nothing nutritive in it.
  • MsJenkins304
    July 16 at 8:20 PM

3.5 years

• pinkiebabii
    July 16 at 8:27 PM
    He is 27 month and he will tell me he is done when he literally tells me he is done.
  • Mom2Just1
    July 16 at 10:53 PM

We self wean. My second weaned at 18 months because of me being pregnant.  He nursed 22 weeks of my pregnancy.  My first nursed 14 months ( I weaned him and have regrets to this day). I never cared what people thought.  This third baby will nurse until she self weans.  Proabably 2 years or more.  We are anti formula though and will never give that to our babies.

• anonym00se
    July 16 at 10:54 PM

• juniors.mommy
    July 16 at 10:55 PM
    Just breast feeding 3 weeks. But he wasn't gaining wait so I had to alternate between breaks feedimg amd formula...I did thay for 2 months

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN