The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cooksyster
Relocating to California - advice needed.
June 4 at 4:46 AM

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Orange County, California at the end of the year, where he will be working. We are currently living in London, UK. I have two daughters, aged 5 and 2. I am feeling quite daunted about adjusting to a different 'culture' and very overwhelmed by the thought of leaving my current support structure.

I am looking for some advice on our budget going forward. I would love to hear from other moms on how much they spend monthly on the following:

• Rent (we would be looking for a 3-bedroom house/apartment, probably in Irvine)?
  • Utilities like gas, electricity and water?
  • Groceries?
  • Cars - including insurance and gas?
  • Mobile phones?
  • Gym fees?
  • School for my 5 year old?
  • Nursery 3 half-days a week for my 2-year old?
  • and lastly, medical cover?

If there is anything I have left off the list, please let me know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you.

Replies

• shawtycain
    June 4 at 4:52 AM
    I Don't Live In Cali But I Do Live In Louisiana, And Our House Was Build So We Pay $950 A Month. My Light Bill Usually Be About &245 & Hubby Takes Care Of The Rest. But For Day Care I Pay $17 A Day
  • A1OnTheRun
    June 4 at 7:45 AM

Hi Cooksyster,

I am from California but have lived all over the world, including in York, England.

I lived in Los Angeles during my four years of my undergraduate so I'm also famliar with Southern California but not the specifics about living in Orange County. But what I can tell you is, going from California to England was one of the easiest transitions of my life. Other than the obvious stressful things like finding a house, schools, etc, the rest isn't that hard. Going from London to the suburbs of SoCal will be a culture shock, but I think London will have probably prepared you to accept diversity and different things.

As a person who has gone through the same thing but in other countries, you'll find your feet and start running sooner than you think. It'll be stressful, it always is. There will be some sad time when you miss home, but if you are open to the experience you'll have far more great times than bad ones.

I'm sorry I don't feel like I have the expertise to answer all your questions, but know you won't be the only expat mom.

• Aslen
    by Aslen
    June 4 at 7:47 AM
    Stay where you are until your kids are grown.
  • funhappymom
    June 4 at 8:10 AM

Wow what a huge change for you and your kids. I'm not from California, I'm in PA so I can't really help you on the costs out there. They're higher than what I pay.

Be sure you are talking to kids now abut hte move, it will help them to adjust. Good luck with everything.

• LancesMom
    June 4 at 10:47 AM

Welcome to CafeMom! You should check out the local California  groups! You can find your local area groups in the group finder. It's in the Groups and Conversations tab above!

• hugss
    by hugss
    June 4 at 10:53 AM

Welcome to CafeMom,
    I use to live in OC & loved it!
    It was very expensive then & I am sure more expensive now.
    Do you know what area you are thinking to move to?
    Nice to meet you :)

Quoting Cooksyster:

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Orange County, California at the end of the year, where he will be working. We are currently living in London, UK. I have two daughters, aged 5 and 2. I am feeling quite daunted about adjusting to a different 'culture' and very overwhelmed by the thought of leaving my current support structure.I am looking for some advice on our budget going forward. I would love to hear from other moms on how much they spend monthly on the following:

• Rent (we would be looking for a 3-bedroom house/apartment, probably in Irvine)?
    • Utilities like gas, electricity and water?
    • Groceries?
    • Cars - including insurance and gas?
    • Mobile phones?
    • Gym fees?
    • School for my 5 year old?
    • Nursery 3 half-days a week for my 2-year old?
    • and lastly, medical cover?

If there is anything I have left off the list, please let me know.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thank-you.

• A1OnTheRun
    November 5 at 8:26 AM

Hi Cooksyster! How is the relocation process going? I now find myself in a very similar situation as you (but somewhat reversed). My husband and I are looking to move to England in the coming year because some really massive job opportunities have come about. He's English so it's like moving home for him (even though we are moving to the south, not north where he's from). How was the process for you? We have our young daughter who is elementary school and obviously, it's somewhat of a concern for us because it's a massive change and we hope she takes it in stride. For various reasons we are looking to move to or near Dorchester. I know it's a shot in the dark, but would you happen to know any good realtors for the south? HIs family told us to start with this one http://www.palmersnell.co.uk/forsaleoffice/Dorchester/1250 but any recommendations would be great if you know of any. We aren't ruling out the possibility of London, too, but a more country setting might be the better choice for us.

Anyway, I'm so sorry I just threw all my thoughts out there in one massive blob. I'm just excited, and anxious and scared, but excited still. Any tips about moving to the south would be great.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN