The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
amonkeymom
If your child doesn't like what you make for dinner... ?
February 2 at 1:41 PM

Do you make them a separate meal?

Why/why not?

Replies

• weeping_angel
    February 2 at 4:37 PM
    If it's something I know he doesn't like. Such as steak, then yes. Because I wouldn't want to be forced to eat food that I don't like so why would I forced him.
  • GodsAmiga
    February 2 at 4:52 PM

No I don't. There are always sides like veggies and/or bread. If they won't eat it at all I will save it and if they want something later because they're hungry they get their dinner again. I don't make them clean their plate but I am not going to make a separate meal. My 5 year old always eats at least some of the dinner. My 3 year old had one time when she was stubborn and decided she'd rather go hungry until breakfast...that lasted until a half hour later when she decided she would rather eat some of the dinner (which she ended up liking). To be honest, I put more emphasis on eating the veggies at dinner than I do on the main course. If they haven't eaten much of the main dish but have eaten veggies and gotten full from those I don't mind a bit and that is what happens if one of them doesn't really like the main dish as much.

• pinkcoffeecup
    February 2 at 6:48 PM

No I did not make our son a separate meal if he did not like what I cooked.  I said you eat what's on the table or go to bed hungry.  It at least got him to at least taste the food before he said he didn't like it.   Which is why as an adult he likes lots of different foods.

• RheaF
    by RheaF
    February 2 at 6:52 PM

If it is something new, I make them try two bites. I always have an alternitive for them if they don't like it. If I make something I know they don't like, I will make an alternative. Other than that, dinner is dinner. You decide you don;t want to eat, you can have breakfast in the morning.

• GleekingOut
    February 2 at 7:00 PM
    So you would make them stay up until some ridiculous hour just to prove a point?

Quoting lenashark:

No, I'm not raising rude picky eaters. There is no turning up your nose or whining about perfectly good food in my house. I make what I make and they are required to take three bites of everything if they want to leave the table at all that night, after that they don't have to eat any more but there is nothing until the next meal unless they have eaten a decent portion and they do have to stay at the table until everyone is done eating. And if theres any whining about it or comments about the food, there are consequences. They are allowed to not like it, but saying "ewww" is unecessary and not allowed. We don't throw away food so if they get hungry later before the next meal, I can reheat their last meal.

• auntangelofsix
    February 2 at 7:03 PM
    No i do not we all eat them same thing my boys 11 n 2 yr olds are not pick eatters.
  • lenashark
    February 2 at 7:04 PM

It's not "to prove a point", it's simply making sure they eat healthy and not allowing my kids to act rude and to become picky. If they feel like sitting there until late at night, fine, that's their choice, not mine. All they have to do is take three bites and they can go. I've never had to have my son sit at the table for more than 15 minutes past when everyone else was done because he saw that I wasn't giving in and from then on he learned to just eat his meal.

Quoting GleekingOut: So you would make them stay up until some ridiculous hour just to prove a point?

Quoting lenashark:

No, I'm not raising rude picky eaters. There is no turning up your nose or whining about perfectly good food in my house. I make what I make and they are required to take three bites of everything if they want to leave the table at all that night, after that they don't have to eat any more but there is nothing until the next meal unless they have eaten a decent portion and they do have to stay at the table until everyone is done eating. And if theres any whining about it or comments about the food, there are consequences. They are allowed to not like it, but saying "ewww" is unecessary and not allowed. We don't throw away food so if they get hungry later before the next meal, I can reheat their last meal.

• Ultra_
    by Ultra_
    February 2 at 7:05 PM
    No and because I'm Mexican.
  • squeekers
    February 2 at 7:08 PM

everyone in our home knows, if you do not want what momma's cooking, you can make a pb&j sandwich.

• cshepard
    February 2 at 7:10 PM
    Nope. They are old enough to make them something else if they don't like what I cook.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts