The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
AmaliaD
working mom dinner issues!
by AmaliaD
February 1 at 12:08 PM

I work full time as a teacher.   I love to make my family home made meals but on work nites i get home about 5 pm, then we relax,  ds does homework, everyone seems to be starving by 6/6:30 and i have fallen into making dinners that are either frozen,  pre packaged dinners,   delivery, or overly simple stuff.    I have a crock pot but i really only make slow cooked chicken with different soups or shredded bbq chicken sandwiches.   i NEED some new ideas.   i have seached online but everything i find sound like something my family wouldnt want to eat.   if you have any ideas of recipes to make that are quick and simple please share them!! 

Replies

• WILDCATGAL78
    February 1 at 7:41 PM

Have you looked on Pinterest? Most of those are simple. I understand some ingredients you need to have but others you can make your own variation of. For example, I made taco soup last night and the receipes call for 3 types of beans. I am not a big bean person especially in soup so I only chose one type of bean to put in there. If you family likes pasta there is a lot of easy bake pastas as well. You can also stick other types of meat in your crock pot. Do you like beef? You could do a roast. You could do roast and/or ribs too.

• frndlyfn
    February 1 at 8:46 PM

How old is child(ren)?  Perhaps start a casserole the night before that you can pop in teh oven when you get home.   Spaghetti and meat sauce is not a hard dish to make.   You can premake meatloaf as well to pop in oven when you get home.

• mom2devin11005
    February 1 at 8:57 PM

what I always did when I worked full time was pre-make meals on my days off.... I would make lasagna, manicotti, meatloaf things like that so all that had to happen was it was put in the oven when I got home.  If I was making stirfry I would cut up all the veggies and put them in a ziploc and put the cut up meat in another with a marinade.  I found if I cut out all the prep work it didn't take as long to get dinner on the table.

• FlutterbyMom3
    February 1 at 9:01 PM
    There's a group on here called crock pot moms or something along those lines. They have a shit ton of meals to make.
  • seraphimsong
    February 1 at 11:09 PM
    I work until 5 also & I just make dinner right when I get home so we can all relax afterward
  • Lorelai_Nicole
    February 1 at 11:17 PM

Where does your son spend his after-school time? We cut a lot of time out of our evening "duties" by having our kids do their homework first thing after school, at daycare. That way, when we get home at 5:30 or so, I can jump right into making dinner while the kids take their baths/showers.

• working-girl
    February 2 at 1:21 AM
    Freezer meals! Spend one day a month in the kitchen, defrost your meals in fridge over night, pop in the oven when you get home and BAM... home cooked meal!
  • Purgatorian
    February 2 at 1:42 AM

I chop all my veggies on Sunday for the week and store in zip-locks so I can just throw them in a steamer. Try some casseroles you can just pop in the oven. Mini personal pizzas on gyro bread can be fast, chop all the toppings ahead of time. Tacos are quick. Soup and salad. Grilled cheese and fruit. Hot dogs and cheeseburgers are quick. Grill up a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday for the week. Top salads, use them in stir fry, soups, chicken salad sandwiches, Parmesan chicken, throw some veggies and seasonings on top and pop them in the oven.

All depends on your famlies tastes. What do they like to eat?

• Fields456
    February 2 at 1:44 AM

Are you on Pinterest?   There are so many slow cooker meals on there from chicken to chili.    And truthfully anything you would make on the stove or in the oven can be made in a crock pot 

• screennamesbite
    February 2 at 2:17 AM

Here,you can get pork steaks cheap. Oven set at 375. Use 9x13 Pyrex dish (spray Pam in it). Salt and pepper both sides. Rub brown sugar on each side (I do one side to cut down on sugar) then add A1 to each side (again I only do one side to save money, also I use generic A1). Cover with foil and bake 25-30 minutes. Uncover and finish, approx 10-20 minutes depending on thickness. Throw on potatoes or cauliflower in the oven for a side

tacos are quick along with sloppy joes and oven roasted potato wedges. Sometimes we have breakfast for supper. Make a double batch of homemade pancakes on a weekend, freeze the extra cakes, zap in microwave for an easy supper. Crockpot is great too.  

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts