The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
McKaylaslove
How much do you spend grocery shopping per week??????
January 28 at 8:26 PM

How much do you spend weekly on grocery's. I try to work on a $400 budget a month and it never happens. We have a family of 5 including myself, 3 children ages 9, 6 & 4 and my better half.

Im trying to prove a point here to how much is "Normal" for a family. I do coupon & dont buy ANY junk....ice cream, cookies, little debbies....none of that.

Thanks for your imput!!!!

Jess

((hugs))

Replies

• happymama0609
    January 28 at 8:32 PM
    We a family of 5 and we spend about 400-500 a month, most of that goes to meat since my husband cannot fathom a dinner without meat, lol
  • workwithlaurad
    January 28 at 8:39 PM

Your post got me to really stop and take account of what we spend on groceries. We are a family of 3 and spend an average of $300 to $350 a month. We don't buy junk food or sodas but our highest priced grocery item is always protein: meats - beef, chicken, pork. And like you, I try my best to take advantage of couponing and in-store offers from our grocer. It can be discouraging to say the least.

Laura

• Serabeth06
    January 28 at 8:44 PM

I meal plan and spend $150 a week for a family of 4.

• MamaTinie
    January 28 at 8:46 PM
    Have any of you checked Albertsons (or equivalent) for meats? Here in Washington they do buy one get one free or have coupons for buy one get two free deals.
    I spend about $200 for 3.
    My mom would go to canned grocery outlets and places like Winco and buy bulk. She did a family of 7 on a 250$ budget each month. I'm still working on it!
  • cLanief
    by cLanief
    January 28 at 8:48 PM
    60 a week for 3. It really sucks.
  • we-r-up-to-4
    January 28 at 8:53 PM
    What part of WA are you in? I'm about an hour and a half north of Seattle. I can usually do a family of 5 on 350 a month if I don't do junk and meal plan but dh and I are sugar babies so we tend to spend closer to 400. We are working on that. We have challenged ourselves not to drink any soda from now until the end of February then go from there.

Quoting MamaTinie: Have any of you checked Albertsons (or equivalent) for meats? Here in Washington they do buy one get one free or have coupons for buy one get two free deals.

My mom would go to canned grocery outlets and places like Winco and buy bulk. She did a family of 7 on a 250$ budget each month. I'm still working on it!
  • MamaTinie
    January 28 at 8:56 PM
    About 45 mins north from Seattle, in North Everett.

Quoting we-r-up-to-4: What part of WA are you in? I'm about an hour and a half north of Seattle. I can usually do a family of 5 on 350 a month if I don't do junk and meal plan but dh and I are sugar babies so we tend to spend closer to 400. We are working on that. We have challenged ourselves not to drink any soda from now until the end of February then go from there.

Quoting MamaTinie: Have any of you checked Albertsons (or equivalent) for meats? Here in Washington they do buy one get one free or have coupons for buy one get two free deals.

• Mrs.Kubalabuku
    January 28 at 8:59 PM

$150 for a family of 4 normally.  I do buy some junk, but it's mostly fresh produce and meats.

Currently, my sister and her children are with me, so it's a family of 7.  I'm still spending $150 for foods, but I've changed the meals some.  Now it's almost no junk options, but lots of rice, dry beans, canned stuff to make sauces, big blocks of cheese, pasta, etc.  Things you can cook in bulk that are nice and filling!

• Supernatural971
    January 28 at 8:59 PM

About $100-$120 a week....A family of 3 sometime 4 if we have to feed roomates son of he is not here.

• CuppycakeJess
    January 28 at 9:02 PM

we spend about $130-$150 a week on groceries. Im trying to get it down but its been hard, everything is getting so expensive these days and to try and eat healthy makes it even harder to stay within a budget. This is for Hubby and I and our 2 boys (4 and 6)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts