The CafeMom Newcomers Club

JrsMommy07
should I let him go? HELP
January 5 at 8:45 AM
My oldest son who will.be seven this month has been having alot of behavior problems. Last night we were talking and he started crying saying he missed his teetee and cousins. My bff who is like a sister to me abd her kids. We moved from mn to tx three years ago and have been back to visit once last year. He asked me if he was really good could he go visit. I don't mind him visiting I trust my bff with my life. Its just that due to finances and work we would not all be able to go and I would have to send him by himself. I am terrified of airplanes and have flown twice in my life. He went once with me and his brother last year. I am a single mom so.I have no one.who could take.him and I don't have a car so the only option is for.him to.fly. im.just not sure if he.should at seven. According to the airline they can fly alone at five. His brother is.only four so he couldn't go. Any advice about sending a young child on a flight alone? Its three hours non stop. Is he too young? I want to do something to encourage him to behave. And this was his idea. Im.just not sure... help!
Should I let him fly alone from tx to mn?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 17% - yes
  2. 82% - no

Replies

• gabbyttcgirl
    January 5 at 9:00 AM
    I personally think that's way to young.

I traveled alone and flew when I was younger (12) and they had an adult pick me up at the doors, shuttle me to the next stop and drop me off

For a 12 year old I think it's fine maybe even 11 year old

However they don't watch you, they don't make sure you get on the plane etc.

So he would have to understand how to read a clock, listen to a plane being called boarding, and be able to sit still and not get distracted by games, people or random other things that can make you wonder off your terminal

Eta - sorry misread... I still don't know if I would let him he is very young, and unless she can clear customs and wait for him at the gate he would have to go get his own luggage and meet her before check in gates at the front of the airport
  • gregheather
    January 5 at 9:00 AM

I would check with your airline - some have an age limit on how old a child has to be to travel alone.

• JrsMommy07
    January 5 at 9:07 AM
    [quote name="gabbyttcgirl" id="0"] I personally think that's way to young.

I traveled alone and flew when I was younger (12) and they had an adult pick me up at the doors, shuttle me to the next stop and drop me off

For a 12 year old I think it's fine maybe even 11 year old

However they don't watch you, they don't make sure you get on the plane etc.

So he would have to understand how to read a clock, listen to a plane being called boarding, and be able to sit still and not get distracted by games, people or random other things that can make you wonder off your terminal

Eta - sorry misread... I still don't know if I would let him he is very young, and unless she can clear customs and wait for him at the gate he would have to go get his own luggage and meet her before check in gates at the front of the airport
    [/quote
    I looked it up and with United airlines they let the guardian and person picking up clear security and go to the gate to get the child and to help the child board the plane. So he would have one of us there getting on and off and a flight attendant with him during the trip
  • JrsMommy07
    January 5 at 9:33 AM
    Bump
  • Dabrutiful1
    January 5 at 9:37 AM
    I'd use his fare to have my friend come visit with her kids.
  • momdoes
    by momdoes
    January 5 at 10:39 AM

Nope. I would not be comfortable with it at all.

• ladybuglove08
    January 5 at 10:42 AM
    Has he flown before? I think a first time flight alone would be very scary
  • lucky2Beeme
    January 5 at 11:20 AM

I would not he is way too young. I have read more than once how the airlines doesnt do their job watching your child.

• JrsMommy07
    January 5 at 3:14 PM
    Bump
  • DallasCowboys81
    January 5 at 3:32 PM
    They have flight attendants that will sit with your child and make sure they have everything they need. My ss flys to see us every summer. He is older but started when he was young. This will be the first yr he dont have to use a flight attendamt and he is 16. I say let him if you buy tickets early enough they can be pretty cheap for round trip. He.will be ok. Id let my 7 yr old.. :)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN