The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Ladysigma07
Is unemployment really due too a true lack of jobs or a lack of people looking?
January 4 at 2:04 PM

A couple came into my office a little while ago looking for an aparment. I was unable to help them because they didn't meet the income. The husband/boyfriend stated that he has been looking for the past year but no luck. He girlfriend/wife give him the evil eye and stated "Unemployment is not due to the lack of jobs but lack people looking".

She then went on to say everywhere they have gone, they have been denied due to lack of income. I explained to her that most housing communities requires 3x the amount of rent to qualify. They took all of my information and left but it had me wondering.

Is unemployment really due too a true lack of jobs or a lack of poeple looking?

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• browncoat
    January 4 at 2:07 PM
    A bit of both, I would guess. I'm sure there are those that can't find anything, but I also think there are those who can't find anything that they want, and who pass up opportunities to apply for jobs that they find undesirable, or who are unwilling to take positions in another line of work.
  • Mrs.MikeC
    January 4 at 2:31 PM
    Both in some cases. I don't see myself driving ( we live in a rural area) to work everyday to make minimum wage or a little more than that. I'd have to find someone to watch our kids, the insurance, gas and wear on a vehicle isn't worth it sometimes. That is if you have the option. Dh makes enough so I stay at home for now. Sometimes you can be picky other times you have to settle for a McDonald's job to try to make ends meet. Sometimes people are just lazy and choose not to look.
  • katiebug840204
    January 4 at 2:35 PM
    Depends on the situation. For me, I can't find a job that will work with the hours I need. I'm sure there are a lot of places hiring but I can't work them due to my circumstances.
  • KatLee42513
    January 4 at 2:40 PM
    Both. I live in the DC area so jobs are plentiful and luckily I just found a job I love but if it weren't for this job I most likely would have just stopped looking.

I am lucky that I don't need a job. If someone is desperate for income is hope they would take the jobs offered. For me, I was looking for a family friendly company with a great location, great employees and a great boss. From experience, jobs aren't exactly "enjoyable" and working for me needs to be enjoyable. If something were to happen to this job I can vouche and say I'd never look again unless an awesome company came knocking which is rare.

A friend of mine in another state has Medicaid and food stamps & loses medicaid if she makes over 150 a month so basically she either doesn't work or has to find a full time job. Unfortuently, there are no full time positions open up where she's at so she's in a sticky situation
  • marlese
    by marlese
    January 4 at 4:01 PM

I honestly feel that the unemployment issue is due to lack of jobs especially in the white collar sector. Many of these high paying jobs have disappered and have not been replaced. Let's not forget about the great recession that we are still experienceing.We still have not gained the jobs lost fromt this period in time.

It has been reported that for every 1 job opening there are 3 qualified candidates actively seeking a position. You have lawyers, engineers, accountants, amoung many other professionals looking for jobs. The only jobs that are plentiful would be low paying jobs such as retail and fast food jobs.

When corportations realize that employing overseas is more detrimental to our economy then we will be in this continuous unemployment crisis. People must also realize that they may have to make their own companies opposed to waiting to get hired for jobs that may not pay the bills.

• Bookoholic
    January 4 at 4:04 PM
    This is what I see, I've worked in a lot of customer service jobs and never had a problem finding work so much as find the right job. I love my job now but wish I was getting paid a bit more.

Quoting browncoat: A bit of both, I would guess. I'm sure there are those that can't find anything, but I also think there are those who can't find anything that they want, and who pass up opportunities to apply for jobs that they find undesirable, or who are unwilling to take positions in another line of work.
  • Noni2319
    January 4 at 6:30 PM
    A bit of both. And sometimes people get offers but turn them down because they want to be paid more.
  • Mashnut3161
    January 4 at 6:33 PM

I think it depends on the situation. But mostly the latter

• TheMommaJessie
    January 4 at 10:39 PM

no unemployment is really due to lack of jobs.

• cranky_anthony
    January 4 at 10:43 PM
    I wouldn't say lack of looking. I'd say lack of effort. If you want a job you will get one. You will find a way to get childcare figured out. You will work whatever hours necessary. And you will apply for anything. I hate when people make excuses for being jobless. Unless you are diabled or a convicted felon, then it shouldn't be that hard.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN