The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
evilangel198431
do you do this to your kids?
December 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM

tonight i was at wal mart getting some things for dinner. i was in the self checkout area. a woman walked up with a sleeping toddler in her basket, sleeping on a pillow pet. the cashier watching the area noticed the sleeping child and pulled the tag off so the mother could pay for it without waking him. the mother then says "oh i am not buying that for him, it just kept him quiet". then she woke the child up and gave the pillow pet to the cashier in front of him with him reaching for it and crying. why do people do this? it seems cruel to me to let a child think they are going to get a new toy only to take it away from them before leaving the store. do any of you ladies do this? if so why? i am just curious as i have never thought of giving one of my kids a toy to keep them quiet if i had no intention of buying it.

Replies

• RaisinGirl78
    December 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM
    No that seems cruel. My kids learned from a very early age that they don't always get a toy when shopping & crying/begging for something gets you nothing.
  • evilangel198431
    December 23, 2013 at 1:00 AM

i think the kid would have been content had she never given it to him but he was so heartbroken when she took it away, it made me really sad for him. if i had the money i might have just paid for it and given it to him

Quoting RaisinGirl78: No that seems cruel. My kids learned from a very early age that they don't always get a toy when shopping & crying/begging for something gets you nothing.

• Cowgirl_Coyote
    December 23, 2013 at 1:02 AM

My little one plays with toys she picks up off the shelf all the time. It keeps her occupied so what's the big deal?

• Tammi4
    by Tammi4
    December 23, 2013 at 1:04 AM
    No. I never allowed my kids to do that.
  • amberNewman0213
    December 23, 2013 at 1:08 AM

my kids do it, but i wouldnt do it with a pillow pet or something like that just a simple toy to keep them entertained. 99% of the time ill buy it for them but usually its just a cheap little toy and i get it for them behaving so well in the store in the first place.

• evilangel198431
    December 23, 2013 at 1:10 AM

but do you take it away before you leave? seems mean to me

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

My little one plays with toys she picks up off the shelf all the time. It keeps her occupied so what's the big deal?

• MixedCooke
    December 23, 2013 at 1:49 AM

nah, I usually have them bring a lovey in with them or have every intention of buying it for them if I give it to them.

• jmaw89
    by jmaw89
    December 23, 2013 at 1:57 AM
    Sometimes she can play with a toy while we shop but not a pillow or anything snuggly. We put it back together when we're done, she tells it "bye" and "thank you".
  • Chloe411
    December 23, 2013 at 2:45 AM

evilangel198431, You are so on the money!!

That is cruel, not to mention incredibly lazy. Don't placate a child just to make your life momentarily flow smoother! Especially if you have no intention of following through with your promises... 

• 4everJs
    by 4everJs
    December 23, 2013 at 2:59 AM
    No. If they can't buy the toy I say no immediately.

Also, we always had one of those character shaped pillows in the car that I would bring if I thought my baby was going to conk out during the trip.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts