ashmarie08
Wedding advice
November 29, 2013 at 10:11 PM

My fiance and I are not very well off financially.  We are doing our ceremony at the justice of the peace, and will probably go out to dinner afterwards somewhere locally. We want to invite close family and friends to the reception, and to the dinner afterwards... but I'm not sure how to word the invitations to let the guests know we expect them to pay for their own meal. I don't want to word it in such a way that people think they need to come to the dinner, because they don't. I don't want anyone to feel pressured into it, but I certainly can't afford to feed everyone either.

Replies

• A.J.s_mommy
    November 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM
    Don't put reception on the invitation. People will assume they will be fed. Other than that...I don't have any advice.
  • amberNewman0213
    November 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM
    Id have the reception at home and do a big cookout and have some members like moms and grandma's bring a plate of something for everyone.
  • ashmarie08
    November 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM

At home isn't an option. We rent an apartment.

• baquick
    by baquick
    November 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    I would say something like "after the ceremony, the happy couple will be dining at (place) and you are welcome to join them." to me, that means I would pay for my meal.
  • beadingmom17
    November 30, 2013 at 12:43 AM
    Maybe something like "the bride and groom will be dining at ______ after the ceremony! In liu of gifts, we would love if you could come dine with us!"

• ScrChk23
    November 30, 2013 at 3:52 AM

SO and I just had our wedding two weeks ago.  We did it at our house.  SO grilled hotdogs and hamburgers.  We had chips and veggies too.  We had our son's birthday party after the ceremony.  We invited just our immediate family and a few close friends.  It was wonderful!

• ScrChk23
    November 30, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Does the complex have a clubhouse or other meeting room type place?  Or a family member has a house you could use?

Quoting ashmarie08:

At home isn't an option. We rent an apartment.

• ashmarie08
    November 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

We don't really have anywhere to have a reception, plus that would mean cooking for everyone lol.  We're currently trying to save for a new place & vehicle, or I would have no problem paying for others.  I like the suggestions above though, thank you ladies :)

• afambuswmn
    November 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM

My husband and I got married in our Pastor's office and we went out afterwards. Our close friends paid for us. If you're just doing something at the JOP, I really wouldn't worry about invitations. Or just say something like We will be getting married on whatever day. You are welcome to join us at XYZ restaurant. 

• NDADanceMom
    November 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    You can just have people spread the word. Anytime you invite anyone to anything you are paying IMO