NDADanceMom
"ethnic sounding names"
November 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I was just reading an article on yahoo about a girl named keisha that changed her name because of the taunts.  She is a bi racial girl in Missouri.  People would make fun of her for her name, including a teacher! 

The most interesting part of the article for me was that there was a study done that showed that people with "black sounding names" were profiled on job applications and such.  People with these names have a harder time getting into college and getting good jobs.  

Does this impact your opinion of a more ethnic name for your child?  As a teacher I have seen the distress that many kids feel because of their names and did stick to traditional names and spellings but many parents love to be original. 

Replies

• DACIA79
    by DACIA79
    November 6, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    Its no secret that certain names are stereotyped however It didn't influence my decision because most ethnic names don't appeal to me
    anyway.

If a name that is considered ethnic makes it to the top of my name list is must be spelled correctly.

My boys are Damien, Hunter and Connor.
  • IncognitoOne
    November 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I didn't put any thought into how the name sounded, other than if I liked it or not.

And I'm finding it funny, because I know a Keisha, Makeisha, and Lakeisha and they're all white. *shrug*

• squeakers2
    November 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    While I'm partial to "unusual" names, "ethnic" names were not a consideration. I have seen potential employees be discriminated against for their name. We took that into consideration when naming our children. Each child has the right to be called by whatever variation of their name they want, but they will still be called by their names by family. DF's son is Joby and we have an Alexis and a Zavian.
  • mommy2CTRJ
    November 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Like someone said above, there are certain names that are stereotyped. I knew a guy and he had a completely American name but he was Indian and I knew a guy who had a completely ethic name and was white.

While I do like somewhat uncommon names, I certainly don't make up names. My kids are Cassidy Gail, Tanner Michael, Rain Joseph, and Jaxon John. While Rain and Jaxon are more uncommon names they are still pronounceable.

• happymommy1105
    November 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I chose traditional names for my boys.  They are Benjamin Charles and Nathan Michael.  Yes, I spelled them traditionally too.  

my SO has a daughter her name is Jennifer- spelled traditionally.  But she has another Jennifer in her class whose parents misspelled her name badly.  It's something like Gynnyfyr.  Like what the heck is that?  

Naming your child Jennifer and misspelling it- does not make it unique or orginial.  It makes you look uneducated as a parent.  

• mrs.murksho
    November 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    Honestly to say someone has an ethnic name is kinda of ignorant. I think a parent should be able to name their child any name that they want to and spell it however they want. Keisha is just as ethnic as the name Apple. BTW my child name is Micah.
  • NDADanceMom
    November 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Quoting mrs.murksho:

Honestly to say someone has an ethnic name is kinda of ignorant. I think a parent should be able to name their child any name that they want to and spell it however they want. Keisha is just as ethnic as the name Apple. BTW my child name is Micah.

I think its ignorant to not think that certain ethnicities name their children different things.  Are you really telling me that you can not tell the likely race of these kids.... Jayshawn, Kenishia, Latricia, Shaniqua????  Or maybe what ethic background these kids from my daughters class are.... Kjersten, Thor, Axel, Gretta, Gunner, Tanner?  Maybe these kids in my sons class... Jesus, Maria, Jose, Carlos??? You really think that names are never associated with race?  How strange and unobservant.  

My kids are Catherine, Elizabeth and Nathan.  Its a pretty good guess that we are white.  Yes its possible for a Mexican family in southern California to use those names and I could have picked the names Keoke, Yoshi and ming nau, but that would be very unusual.  

• coolmommy2x
    November 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    DH's cousin is named Leroy and everyone is always surprised he's white.
  • NDADanceMom
    November 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

DH's cousin is named Leroy and everyone is always surprised he's white.

Well if you find the article the mother is white and she picked the name.  Also they were teasing the girl about having a $ in her name.  Asked her if she was Kei$ha not Keisha.  Kei$ha is white.  Most of the taunts were really not a racial thing but the second part of the article is what interested me.  

• cupcakemomcyrus
    November 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    I never put thought into ethnicity when we named our kids... our daughter was just a name we liked and our son is a family name named after his great grandfathers.