The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cafe AmyS
Did your home come with a surprise?
October 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Mummified Body Found in Foreclosed Home Gave New Owner a Fright

by Kiri Blakeley

When you buy a new home in foreclosure, sight unseen, you never know quite what you're going to get. But one Parisian man got the surprise of a lifetime when he turned the key to his brand new apartment and found the previous owner still there. That was unexpected enough. Even more shocking? He was dead.

The previous owner, a man who was fired from his security job in 2005, filed a labor complaint, and then disappeared. He had reportedly cut off ties with his family long ago. Since he no longer had a job and lived in an urban area where neighbors don't tend to check up on each other -- no one was suspicious when the man suddenly disappeared. They assumed he had packed up and left town.

In reality, the poor guy had tied a sheet around his neck and hung himself in his apartment.

Eight years later, his body was still hanging there -- and greeted the new owner, who bought the place at auction when the bank foreclosed on it for lack of mortgage payments.

Reportedly, the body hadn't even decomposed. It was hanging there mummified, in perfect condition. Yikes, talk about an unwelcome housewarming gift.

People find some strange things in foreclosed homes. Pets are unfortunately commonly left behind in foreclosures. Last year, another dead owner was found in a foreclosed home in Wisconsin. And in Minnesota, a foreclosed home was loaded with a pipe bomb.

Still ... a deal's a deal, right?

Have you ever bought a foreclosed home? If you found a dead body in one, would you still want to live there?

Replies

• squeekers
    October 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM

sounds like the perfect place for a haunted house movie to be made

• jconney80
    October 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM
    Creepy!! I'd be upset!
  • Okie-chick
    October 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM
    Ew! Where's the picture? Lol
  • hugss
    by hugss
    October 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM

No thank goodness :)

• fudgybuddymom
    October 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I guess I would. I have lived in two houses where ppl have died & slept in the same bed my husband died in. So I guess it wouldn't bother me. While I believe there's a possibility of spirits hanging around,they have never revealed themselves to me so I'm not worried about dead ppl left in my home.

• momofsixangels
    October 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM

How did noone know for so many years??Thats crazy

• MunchiesMom324
    October 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    We are looking at homes to get an idea of the market. We went and looked at one, an older 5 bed farmhouse sitting on something like 8 acres. Drove around the lot, it was nice.

Imagine my surprise hearing on the news that a body was discovered in that field only weeks later. It has been there a while, too -based on decomp.

Someone being a good Samaritan was clearing overgrowth and thought it was a mannequin....
  • KayBeCareful
    October 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I think I would be a bit put off by finding a DB in my new house.

Daddy once bought a beautiful house in foreclosure and the law was such that he was not able to get into the house legally before buying it.  I was a teen so I don't know how that worked back then.  He said he was tempted to break in through a window but didn't want to have to fix it.. He was able to go around the house looking into most of the windows and could see most of it since it was a ranch style house.

We did have a surprise or two with it.  It seemed to be a bit haunted by a harmless ghost who did weird things like turn on and off the lights and dropping or banging something now and then. He also liked slamming the doors of cars that weren't there and you could hear the occasional footsteps walking down the hall when no one was there.  His most amusing feat was making a huge splash in the pool but when you looked outside, the pool would be perfectly still.  

They lived there for almost the rest of their lives and my sister bought the house. She and her dh also cohabit peacefully with "George", the ghost.  Fortunately, someone had removed George's body before we bought the house.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN