The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
indianamom1985
CONFUSION at the OB appointment!
October 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I'm suppose to be 26 wks along with my little lady, and well I went in for a OB appointment today and the midwife measured me and I measured 30 wks and we've had this issue before with me measuring 2-3 wks farther along... So she had me get an Ultrasound to check how far along I was... The baby measures at 26 wks But the Midwife knows I have small babies, So the Midwifes measurment is 30 wks and my OB has kept me at 26 wks! So a independent nurse told me to keep both in mind!! THATS A WHOLE MONTHS difference!!! lol IDK who's to go with at this point so I'm confused!!! Which do u all think I should go with or should I just split the difference and go with 28 wks? LOL My DD looks great and everything looks fine and is there another way I can see how developed she is or is 4 wks too close to tell any difference!?

Replies

• browncoat
    October 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM
    The midwife wants to change your due date by a month based in fundal height and an arbitrary guess based on the fact that you have had 'small babies'? I wouldn't go with that, personally. It seems weird that anyone would.

If you had a first trimester ultrasound, that's the best estimate. Or LMP, if that's fairly clear cut for you. But if you are supposed to be 26 weeks based on one of those, and baby is measuring 26 weeks by ultrasound, it sounds like you are 26 weeks.
  • happymommy1105
    October 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM

did they measure your fluid? 

what was the first due date they gave you?  the earlier the measurement the more accurate.  

i don't ever go with anything but what the first date they gave me was.  that's just me personally though.  

when was your last LMP?  what does that date give you?

• indianamom1985
    October 24, 2013 at 12:07 AM

no just that it looked fine... and My first due date was the 16th but that was just from the midwife threw measurement But I didn't know I was Prego until I was almost 3 months along... and my LMP I have NO idea sometime mid to late April... I had an emotional upheave due to 4 yrs of trying to get prego and I just gave up and quit keeping track! LOL It was sometime between the 18th and the 28th... I'm not real sure!

Quoting happymommy1105:

what was the first due date they gave you?  the earlier the measurement the more accurate.  

i don't ever go with anything but what the first date they gave me was.  that's just me personally though.  

• ditsyjo
    by ditsyjo
    October 24, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I always measure big... doesn't make the babies any older.

• happymommy1105

honestly your midwife sounds like an idiot. 

you already know you have small babies. your baby is only measuring 26 weeks. 

you need to bake that baby as long as possible.  

even with an LMP between the 18th and 28th- that's only a 10 day window not a month long window- so at most baby would measure 10 days bigger than your due date- which baby is not. 

stick with the first date- find a new midwife and bake baby as long as you can.

Quoting indianamom1985:

no just that it looked fine... and My first due date was the 16th but that was just from the midwife threw measurement But I didn't know I was Prego until I was almost 3 months along... and my LMP I have NO idea sometime mid to late April... I had an emotional upheave due to 4 yrs of trying to get prego and I just gave up and quit keeping track! LOL It was sometime between the 18th and the 28th... I'm not real sure!

Quoting happymommy1105:

• indianamom1985

I didn't have an ultrasound until I was 14 wks along according to my OB who I have yet to actually get an appointment with due to him being called to the hospital EVERY single time to deliver a baby!! LOL I have met him but never had an actually appointment with him. and IDk when My LMP was because I quit keeping track in Febuary! I'm gonna stick with 26-28 wks unless the OB changes it but I just wanted to get others opinions!!

Quoting browncoat:

The midwife wants to change your due date by a month based in fundal height and an arbitrary guess based on the fact that you have had 'small babies'? I wouldn't go with that, personally. It seems weird that anyone would.

If you had a first trimester ultrasound, that's the best estimate. Or LMP, if that's fairly clear cut for you. But if you are supposed to be 26 weeks based on one of those, and baby is measuring 26 weeks by ultrasound, it sounds like you are 26 weeks.

• indianamom1985
    October 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Well hopefully I will actually get to see my OB on the 7th and get to talk to him about it! I have the worst luck when it comes to my appointments, Every single time he has been called to the hospital to deliver a baby, I have an appointment with him on his day that He is OFF call so I can only hope!! :D

Quoting happymommy1105:

even with an LMP between the 18th and 28th- that's only a 10 day window not a month long window- so at most baby would measure 10 days bigger than your due date- which baby is not. 

Quoting indianamom1985:

Quoting happymommy1105:

• happymommy1105
    October 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM

the ob deliverd my first- and the midwife delivered my second- i am a true beliver of having a good midwife over an ob now.  

but my disclaimer is- a GOOD midwife- not an idiot midwife like that one sounds.

Quoting indianamom1985:

Well hopefully I will actually get to see my OB on the 7th and get to talk to him about it! I have the worst luck when it comes to my appointments, Every single time he has been called to the hospital to deliver a baby, I have an appointment with him on his day that He is OFF call so I can only hope!! :D

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting indianamom1985:

Quoting happymommy1105:

• jconney80
    October 24, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Ultrasounds are usually off a lot. Was the measuring from an ultrasound? They usually give you a due date in the beginning when it is accurate. I would not consider a guess at this late in the game to be accurate because many things can throw it off.....leg length, fluid levels, etc etc.

• pm4k
    by pm4k
    October 24, 2013 at 12:33 AM

If you had any belly fat before you got pregnant, it could be confusing the fundal height now. Go by your initial ultrasound and due date---that is the most accurate. 

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN