momdoes
Do those who recieve FS really get 4.50 a day?
by momdoes
September 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Panera Bread CEO Ron Shaich is very hungry. "I can't stop thinking about food," he wrote on his LinkedIn blog yesterday. That's because he was on day 4 of a week-long challenge to eat on just $4.50 per day. He's doing it to raise awareness of how people on food stamps live: That's how much a person on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program receives, Shaich explains.

NEWSER: Whales record years of pollution -- in their earwax

His SNAP Challenge comes during Hunger Action Month—and it also comes as the House is set to discuss this week a proposal that could see SNAP funding cut by $40 billion over the next 10 years, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Shaich did all his shopping for the week on a $31.50 budget. He's trying to eat as healthily as possible, but was forced to rely on carb-heavy foods and couldn't afford many fruits and vegetables, he writes. By yesterday, his thoughts were "consumed by food," he continues.

"When is my next meal? How much food is left in my cabinet? Will it get me through the week? What should I spend my remaining few dollars on? What would I eat if I had no budget at all?"

Joining Shaich in the challenge is Feeding America CEO Bob Aiken. Cory Booker undertook a similar challenge last year, spending just $29.78 for a week's worth of food.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/17/newser-panera-ceo-food-stamps/2826547/

I dont know the exact amt some people I know get in FS each month, but I swear I think its more than that! So, if you recieve FS, does it average out to 4.50 a day (and I am guessing per person who recieves them)?

Replies

• MamaTinie
    September 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    Ours is 3.11 per person per day. i spend mostly on meats and frozen veggies and canned foods. fruit is a treat i usually get from mom and dad.
  • mamacam7
    September 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

We actually get less than that per person right now ( about 3.97) but we were receiving about 5.28. The thing about foodstamps is that it is not meant to be the sole source of your the food for the onth. It is a suppliment, meaning "something that completes or enhances something else when added to it". 

• tairakittie
    September 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    If I did the math right, we get $3.91 per person per day. We buy a lot of fresh and frozen fruits and veggies, some type of organic milk, meat, pasta and sauce, bread, peanut butter and jelly, and some snacks. We usually go through ours in 2-3 weeks, the rest of the month comes out of pocket and we still end up spending an extra $200 a month on groceries for 2 adults, 2 small children and sometimes a friend or two when we cook a big cheap meal like pasta.
  • quickbooksworm
    September 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    I could do $4.50 a day for myself no problem. The pricey part of my groceries is the stuff I send for my sons lunches and snacks. He eats some prepackaged stuff so it won't go bad but the healthy prepackaged stuff is more expensive than the junk. I don't get FS, just saying I could live on that budget, but my son could not.
  • northernmommy
    Jen
    September 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    When we were on Fs we were getting $2.49 per person per day.
  • Monkiebut
    September 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    That sounds about right when we had them... But honestly we spend about $200/ month TOTAL for 5 people, one of which is on a high fat/ calorie diet. You just have to buy smart, in bulk, and fresh. You spend less when you buy fresh.

And we always have fruit, veggies and meat in the house.
  • Bitemebetty
    September 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    About 1.10 a person
  • Jadesmommy13
    September 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    My sister has 6 people in her family and she gets almost $800 a month.... Which is crazy to me! I'm not sure about the exact amount, but it's pretty high.
  • shannonw79
    September 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    A family of 5 reciving the max amount gets about 5.29 per person a day were as a family of one gets 6.67 a day.
  • Wills_Wifey
    September 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    If I did the math right we get about $.91 a day per person... So basically nothing lol