The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
awakemommy
I was forced to choose a race for my daughter
September 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM

My two year old is having some major behavior problems so I decided to get her evaluated. My girls are biracial 1/2 black 1/2 white. When I made the phone call they asked me some questions and of course one of them had to be about her race. I told the lady she was black/white and she said that can't be her race...I have to choose one. I said why do I need to choose when she is both? She said in order for her to help me or to move forward I have to choose one due to regulations. So I chose black because she could pass for that more than white. This just doesn't seem right to me. So now it will be in the records that she has issues and she is black. I just don't understand why I had to choose one. There are so many people who are multi-racial. How are you able to choose? Why are we so hung up on race all the time? I don't think it should matter.

Replies

• WithOutLightIAm
    September 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Why did her race even matter ? I would have told the lady to do any mini mighty moe, catch a dumbass by the toe.

tsk tsk

• Pooobaihr
    September 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

AH .. THAT SUCKS.

• frndlyfn
    September 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Most forms have a box for biracial - black/white.  I would have gone with whatever race you are since you carried them in your womb.

• chickensmommy
    September 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    I would have not checked anything. We use enough labels for people as it is.
  • catrig
    by catrig
    September 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    That would have pissed me off.
  • awakemommy
    September 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Yes, that is true and that is why I didn't understand why she said I couldn't choose. It just seemed very odd to me. I did choose black.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Most forms have a box for biracial - black/white.  I would have gone with whatever race you are since you carried them in your womb.

• awakemommy
    September 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Sometomes I don't check anything because I don't see it should matter. But I was on the phone with her and she made it seem like I didn't have a choice. Very true about people being labled...I agree.

Quoting chickensmommy:

I would have not checked anything. We use enough labels for people as it is.

• sunpeaches1
    September 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    My boys are the whitest kids in the world! Its even their last name! (My big joke about my White boys is they're so white its in their name ;) )
    But just cuz I'm sick of all these racial labels for reason of the multi mix races on random forms I check multiple boxes if they insist on that info... most often I leave it blank. What does anyone's race have anything to do w anything other than checking for medical conditions with high prevalence in certain races?
  • hds_02
    by hds_02
    September 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I definitely agree.

Quoting sunpeaches1:

What does anyone's race have anything to do w anything other than checking for medical conditions with high prevalence in certain races?

• awakemommy
    September 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

These are my girls btw. They can pass for many races

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts