The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Mommyof2ninos
Advice please regarding Elementary School choice
September 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Hello i am new. Felt like this is a great way to relieve stress and also give and receive advice. My issue is this.My daughter was going to Her school since kinder In the immersion program she did great with pretty high test scores. School is rated 5 of 10. We decided to switch her. Well mostly my hubby to her home school which is rated 9of 10 no immersion. I regret it. She had ok past few days. But i feel like learning a second language and finishing the program is very important. Can i please get your opinion on what you would do. Thank you. We have the option to switch her back but wanted to get some feedback from other mothers out there. Please help

Replies

• frndlyfn
    September 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I do not know how this process work.  DD has just gone to the school that we are in the boundaries for.  Could she enroll in an afterschool program for 2nd language?  What grade is she in now?   I really do not pay attention to school ratings anymore since the reviews are from 2010 in my area.

• NDADanceMom
    September 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Does she get much out of the immersion school?  My kids are in it and really dont know a ton of spanish though they are middle school and have been in 1/2 day immersion since first grade.  Id stick with the better school.

• mom2ljh
    by mom2ljh
    September 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    Is English her first language and immersion is for a second or is immersion to gain English? I think that's important info to be able to give any kind of advice.
  • Mommyof2ninos
    September 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    Well i applied for the school and did a intra district transfer since she started kinder. She is in 4th grade but there are no afterschool programs. Out reviews are pretty current but they are test score based.
  • Mommyof2ninos
    September 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    She is bilingual for english and spanish. She learned to read and write it there. We have had good teachers and she has gotten good grades her test scores have been advanced as well. Immersion is pretty much to keep her spanish up since i believe in the future it will benefit her.
  • coolmommy2x
    September 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    If she was happy there and doing well, I probably would've kept her there. What about it ranked it a 5? Since you moved her, realize school is just starting and there will be an adjustment period. Give it some time before you start to regret it, she may be happy there once she's settled in more. Is it possible for you to volunteer there? Maybe if you're more involved you'll feel better about it.
  • Mommyof2ninos
    September 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    I agree i think that i why i have been so stressed. I just feel if we are able to switch back before actual instruction starts she wont miss anything. I as well as my sisters went to her original school as well and it helps work wise to be able to read write and speak spanish. I was told i had to make a decision within a week and a half. So its approaching fast and still confused.
  • Mommyof2ninos
    September 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    I agree i think that i why i have been so stressed. I just feel if we are able to switch back before actual instruction starts she wont miss anything. I as well as my sisters went to her original school as well and it helps work wise to be able to read write and speak spanish. I was told i had to make a decision within a week and a half. So its approaching fast and still confused.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

If she was happy there and doing well, I probably would've kept her there. What about it ranked it a 5? Since you moved her, realize school is just starting and there will be an adjustment period. Give it some time before you start to regret it, she may be happy there once she's settled in more. Is it possible for you to volunteer there? Maybe if you're more involved you'll feel better about it.

• Mommyof2ninos
    September 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    She is bilingual for english and spanish. She learned to read and write it there. We have had good teachers and she has gotten good grades her test scores have been advanced as well. Immersion is pretty much to keep her spanish up since i believe in the future it will benefit her.

Quoting mom2ljh:

Is English her first language and immersion is for a second or is immersion to gain English? I think that's important info to be able to give any kind of advice.

• Mommyof2ninos
    September 1, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    Well i applied for the school and did a intra district transfer since she started kinder. She is in 4th grade but there are no afterschool programs. Out reviews are pretty current but they are test score based.

Quoting mom2ljh:

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN